Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor in Sleep mode Issue

• Please log in to reply

Windows 95

Windows 95

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
I have a Dell Dimension 8100, with a Nivida GeForce 2 graphics card, 512 MB of PC RAM. . When I boot it up, the monitor goes directly into sleep mode. No Dell start screen, just going directly into sleep mode. I need to reinstall Windows XP Home Edition on my 2nd HD (after my first one died on me a couple months back). But I can't, thanks to this issue. Any advice?

Dell 1801FP (I believe is the name)

Edited by Windows 95, 17 November 2009 - 06:30 PM.

Advertisements

Windows 95

Windows 95

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Ok, so I also tried my CRT monitor, and it did the same exact thing. I don't know what the problem is.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try tapping on the delete key once per second as soon as you power up...
do you get into the bios...

Windows 95

Windows 95

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
No. That did not work. It still stayed in sleep mode.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Your computer is equipped with four diagnostic lights, which are labeled "A," "B," "C," and "D" on the back of the computer. Each of the four lights can be yellow, green, or off. When the computer is turned on or restarted and it is functioning normally, the lights flash during POST. After the computer starts, the lights remain green to signify normal computer operation.

If a malfunction is detected and the computer fails to start, the lights display a code that identifies the problem. Write down the diagnostic code displayed and tell us what color each lite is or check it out here...
check your Power Button Light Code
Off Power is off.
Blinking yellow ...The computer is in its first state of starting up. If the light remains in this state, check the power supply.
Steady yellow The computer is in its second state of starting up. If the light remains in this state, be sure that the microprocessor is properly seated.
Steady green The computer is in a normal operating state.
Blinking green The computer is in a low-power state.

try this to get to your bios...
Turn on your computer... When F2 Setup appears in the upper-right corner of the screen, press F2
if you don't see anything in the upper right on the screen start tapping F2 about 2 seconds after pressing the power button to turn on the computer...it may take several try's to get the timing right..
if you can't even get to the bios you will at a minimum have to replace the motherboard battery...its about the size of a nickel and costs about $5.00

Windows 95

Windows 95

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Ok. So after looking at the lights, there was yellow lights on both A and B. So I looked it up, and says that the memory needs to be reset. (This is what it really says: Memory failed to be sized or enabled.) So I reset it, and it did nothing. So I put it in the sockets closest to the Power Supply when its opened. It gave me error beeps. So I don't know. But it doesn't give me errors when they are in the sockets closest to the processor. I also put another stick (to make 3) into the other slot, and it beeped. It still didn't get me into the bios. It wont even wake up for the Dell Splash Screen when the thing boots up.

Edited by Windows 95, 23 November 2009 - 04:23 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
first ...remember to unplug the computer from the wall before doing anything inside the case and touch a piece of bare metal inside the case BEFORE touching anything ...put the original sticks of ram back where they were..

Bad computer memory is one of the three main reasons for random system failures.. the other two are heat (usually
caused by fans or heatsinks being blocked with dust) or power issues...

first...lets make sure its not your memory going bad...get memtest + here....
the lowdown is here..
get the 2nd one down and burn the ISO file to a cd and then boot it from the cd drive...

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso
burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start by clicking on BurnCDCC.exe
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its memtest86.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....
let memtest run for at least 3 hours...if it starts showing any errors during that time then you will have
to replace the RAM...no errors after 3 hours just press Esc to end the tests and we will try some other
tests..

Windows 95

Windows 95

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I downloaded the ISO and extracted it to my desktop, but the ISO file is not showing in BurnCDCC. The file is an IMG file, not an ISO. Is there something I need to do? And how will I be able to use the program if I cant see whats on my screen?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
click on burncdcc.exe...then click on browse ...find the file and click on it to select it...

Windows 95

Windows 95

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
That's what I did. It didn't show up in the menu to put it into Burncdcc. When I went to where I extracted it from the .zip file, it showed the boot folder, but not the file itself from the Burncdcc program.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try clicking on burncdcc.exe...then when you click on browse...on the left side click on desktop...find memtest and click on it...if you don't understand you will have to get a friend over to help you

Windows 95

Windows 95

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Ok, I got Memtest burned to a disk. Now when I put it into the computer, how am I supposed to see if there are any errors? Because my monitor is in sleep mode on that computer and won't come out of it.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try it...

Windows 95

Windows 95

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I did try it. But there is still no picture on the screen. Monitor is still in Sleep Mode. I think it might be the video card or something.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try a different video card and boot into safe mode