Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Task Bar Icons

• Please log in to reply

Bushisland

Bushisland

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
I have just installed Windows 7 64 bit. Three of my icons for different programs have changed to a white page with the corner folded up.I have enclosed a snapshot what they look like. When I replace it, the same page shows up, not the original Icon. Its doing it on my other desktop that has Windows 7 32 bit installed on it. Any help would be appreciated. If it helps, both were clean installs.
[attachment=35807:2009_11_...18_09_39.png]

Edited by Bushisland, 11 November 2009 - 06:23 PM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
That icon is when the OS is using a generic icon as it can not find the original program icon any longer. Usually this happens if you uninstall a program. Do the links still work?

Bushisland

Bushisland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Hi Troy,
The links still open the programs. These programs were installed right after the new OS. Then the program icons changed to the generic ones. Programs are HP Solution Center, Evga Precision and Vista/Win7 Optimizer. I shut down my computers after use and it took a couple of boot ups for them to change. I deleted the three programs and reinstalled then, hoping this would solve the problem, but it didn't. I just checked the EXE. file for each program, and the program icon has changed to generic. On my 32 bit desktop it's the Optimizer program that is doing it. Funny thing is that the HP Photosmart icon is OK. It's part of the whole HP install program. :) I'm going to reinstall them and put the shortcuts on the desk top to, and see if that makes any different. All the other icons in the task bar are fine.

Edited by Bushisland, 12 November 2009 - 05:51 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I don't like the name of "Vista/Win7 Optimizer", what on earth is that?

Bushisland

Bushisland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Well, It's called Vista Services Optimizer version 1.2.108. Also works in Windows 7.( http://download.cnet...4-10890033.html )

Edited by Bushisland, 13 November 2009 - 05:14 PM.

Bushisland

Bushisland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Hi,
I have been doing a little experimenting. I deleted the 3 programs, and only reinstalled the HP Solution Center. I put a short cut on the desktop as well as the task bar. I left them there for two days rebooting many times to see if it would change. Nothing; every thing OK. Now I then took the short cut off the desk top and rebooted to see what would happen. The one in the task bar changed to the generic icon. I then opened up the hidden Vista Quick Launch Task Bar in Win7, reinstalled the HP program and added the shortcut to there to. Rebooted, All three icons fine. Now I removed the desktop shortcut again and rebooted. The icon in the Win7 task bar changed to generic and the icon in Quick Launch was OK. The HP shortcut is still OK in the Vista Quick Launch Task Bar after many reboots. I have a feeling that these companies in their hast to catch the release of Win7 did not get it quite right with their updating from Vista. Does this sound reasonable?
Thanks

Edited by Bushisland, 14 November 2009 - 11:50 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Sounds possible, good work on pinpointing where the problem was!

Bushisland

Bushisland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Thanks Troy. I'm going to dig around HP and see if I can get something to surface there. :)