Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

wireless connection speeds jump all over

• Please log in to reply

rsf3306

rsf3306

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi All

I have read some other posts with similar issues but not sure any ideas will work since no posts I have seen have had any of the same components as I have.... Here is my deal.

I have a Toshiba satelite - upper middle of road version.
I have comcast internet
I am using a Lynksis Cable modem
I am using a Lynksis wireless G router

I bought both modem and router in Sep. of 09

When I fist hooked it all up (new House) I had no issues was pegging between 100 and 144 mbs

For some reason one day 2 weeks ago I had my connection and network dissapear(deleted I assume). Any way I reinstalled the CDs etc that came with my router and am now recieving 58mbs at best, usually sits down around the 5.5 /2 /1 mbs range, it will spike to 58 mbs and occasionally hang around 18 mbs, which can work for about 10 to 15 seconds to 1 hour before dropping, this will happen consistently, but will always end up dropping to the 5.5 /2 /1 range. I have performed every test (basic) I know of and what others have had me try. I should mention the laptop is only 1 year old, also at the old house had same exact set up, but decided to buy new router and modem for new house and left the old one, anyway had similar issue at the old house but never really looked into it. just figured that since at the old house the Desktop (no longer have) was upstairs along with the router and the laptop (only computer in new house) downstairs through a couple different walls, was the issue besides alway had wired desktop to resort to, no longer have that luxury. I can plug cables right into laptop and have blazing speeds all day long, so its not an internet issue, every test i run comes back good or passsed. My router is no more than 5 feet away from laptop, so its not a range issue. Can someone steer me in the right direction

Advertisements

jtscustomcomputers

jtscustomcomputers

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
Have you tried testing another wireless laptop to see if the same problem happens? Have you updated firmware for your wireless router if no try updating it? Or in reverse did you update firmware and have this happen after an update or some time after an update?

Do you have any cordless phones nearby, high power amplifiers, speakers, etc anything which could interfere. What month did this start and what area of country do you live? Trying to rule out communication interferences from new sources. Do you have many wireless networks in the neighborhood? It does not take much to interfere with them especially cordless phones and nearby networks. Do you have access to a different adapter for your laptop to test?

Edited by jtscustomcomputers, 11 November 2009 - 01:54 AM.