Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Frustrating problem;

• Please log in to reply

toddlez

toddlez

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello all,
The other day I decided to turn on my computer, and when I attempted to do so, the light wasn't on, but the fans started up, and I could hear sounds of it starting up like it normally would, but then the fan didn't stop whining, usually it stops about a half second after it starts up, so I did the following:
1. Took out the CMOS battery for a good few hours, put it back in; same result.
2. Messed with a few wires[out of frustration], but everything is in its rightful place,
3. Tested a few other power supplies, same problem, and even messed with the main communication wires to the light itself, and still no prevail.

The previous day I had taken out the CPU, to maybe replace my older computer's, but it didn't fit, so, yeah;
Also, I had taken off the fan, but I'm entirely sure it wasn't damaged in any way,

Help would be greatly appreciated, I've been at it for hours,
Thanks,

-Todd

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Make sure that the CPU sits properly in place. Apply a very thin layer of thermal paste to the top of the CPU and bottom of heat sink. Double check that the heat sink sits properly. It looks as if the CPU is overheating, causing the fan to work like that.

toddlez

toddlez

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Well the grease which was previously on the CPU/bottom of the heatsink is still there,
and it seems to be running fine, and dandy,
but my problem I guess is; the LED light on the front of computer doesn't flash on when I start it up, and when I do start it up, there's no visual on the screen,

Thanks for the help, this is such a headache, x_x;

jtscustomcomputers

jtscustomcomputers

• PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Check to see if your video card is seated fully. It sounds like you may have nudged the video card, or maybe unhooked a power cable to the video card if it had one.

LAte add -also are you receiving any bios beeps etc

Edited by jtscustomcomputers, 11 November 2009 - 07:52 PM.

toddlez

toddlez

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hm, I'm almost positive my video card is on-board..
,but I'll take a look inside, there is one particular chord that's unplugged, but I have no idea where it goes,
Where would an on-board video card be located? >.<;;
and would that even fix it, if it were on-board?

P.S; My computer isn't the greatest, xD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yeah, I definitely checked everywhere, and I didn't see a video card or any of the sort anywhere, :/
I also tested out a few wires, and the red case wire turns it on, and the blue is SUPPOSED to make the LED light on the front light up, but it doesn't, so I'm guessing there is a short somewhere somehow in any of the wires..
Any idea how to fix a short? or if that's not the problem, any other things I could try?
I don't really have the money to get it fixed or buy a new one, so help would be greatly appreciated.
:/

Edited by toddlez, 12 November 2009 - 04:34 AM.

toddlez

toddlez

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

LAte add -also are you receiving any bios beeps etc

I took out the ram to maybe see if there would be any beeps,
but no prevail.
:/
It used to beep, but I fixed it by taking out the battery/power supply jumper,
then replacing the power supply jumper, and battery in that order,
and somehow it fixed it,
could I somehow have triggered a short in the wires at that point?
Is there any way to backtrack? :/

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The fact that the old "grease" (thermal paste, to be exact) is still there is not good. The old paste is dried and will not allow a good contact. The surfaces must be perfectly clean, new paste applied and the heatsink installed.

Regarding the video card: most mothderboards made in the last few years have an onboard video card. Many users add another video card to enhance video performance. If you open the computer and don't see any card installed on the motherboard then you don't have one. If you have an extra video card make sure it sits properly in place.

It's too early to say at this point of time but judging by your letters my feeling is that your CPU is damaged.

toddlez

toddlez

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I was afraid that'd be the case..
Either way, I don't have the money to buy any thermal paste, >.<
So I was hoping I wouldn't have to buy anything, and there was just some type of procedure I could do to fix it.
Any other ideas? :|

Edited by toddlez, 12 November 2009 - 10:50 AM.

Jonesey

Jonesey

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

I was afraid that'd be the case..
Either way, I don't have the money to buy any thermal paste, >.<
So I was hoping I wouldn't have to buy anything, and there was just some type of procedure I could do to fix it.
Any other ideas? :|

What, you can't afford about £5 / $8 ???????

toddlez

toddlez

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Well I suppose I could, but I was just wanting to make sure it was that, before I go out and get something that wouldn't fix it anyway,
,because I've taken out the battery and power supply, and it has fixed things in the past,
so I was thinking maybe it were fixable by some type of method such as that,

-Todd

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,308 posts
The fact that you took out the CPU indicates that you also had to have the heat sink/ fan off.
You either damaged the CPU (bent pins) putting it back in, or the paste is so dry that it is allowing the CPU to overheat.

You have to verify the pins aren't bent and also re-apply thermal paste.

No other way to move forward.