Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External Hard Drive Issues

• Please log in to reply

MI0082

MI0082

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My Simple Drive external hard drive fell yesterday and the top of the casing came off.

When I plugged it into my computer, the light comes on, but all I hear is beep..beep..beep.. (lower pitch) beep..beep..beep

I've unplugged it from the casing and plugged it back in to see if the connection was loose, but it did the same thing.

Also plugged it into a desktop PC just to see if the sound itself was coming from the hard drive or the external casing, its the hard drive. :)

Can anyone tell me if this can be fixed? If not, is there a way to get the information off of it before I have to pitch it? It contains all my music, pictures and documents.

Thanks for the help!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
sounds like the drive is physically broken....the only thing that i could think of to get the data back would be to send it to a data recovery service...there are a lot of them around and they're all pretty expensive

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ditto on the diagnosis also.
If you have taken the drive out of the enclosure and slaved it to a known working system and still have the same results.
Drive sounds broken and MR. Dsenette :) is usually correct in his diagnosis.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Ditto on the diagnosis also.
If you have taken the drive out of the enclosure and slaved it to a known working system and still have the same results.
Drive sounds broken and MR. Dsenette :) is usually correct in his diagnosis.

your raise has been approved

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:) Now i can afford this :)