Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Best Free anti Virus

• Please log in to reply

onkaloonka

onkaloonka

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Can anybody please give me an opinion on the best free anti virus software out there?

Ive looked and looked but I want to know from the best :)

Edited by onkaloonka, 11 November 2009 - 11:06 AM.

Advertisements

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
Have a look at this... Free Antivirus and Antispyware Software, Includes screenshots and recommendations

that should take care of you, let me know if you need anything else :)

inapaler

inapaler

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
I personally use and trust avast!
nothing else.

ItsJJStyles

ItsJJStyles

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
This is rather subjective. Why? Because each anti-virus has it's pro's and con's. One may pick up what another didn't detect and vica versa.

Personally, I use Microsoft's Security Essentials as it runs quite light and it generally has about a 98% detectioin rate acording to 3rd party reviews. I also use a-squared free as a back-up on-demand scanner just incase. Neither of these products conflict with each other and they both work in perfect harmony.

Some other very popular choice's include AVG, Avast, and Avira for free anti-virus products. Of course, assuming you want real time protection.

A-Squared is a very good on demand scanner. Bit Defender Free is also an on-demand scanner, however, I can't say if it removes virus's or just alerts you of their precense, very much like Kaspersky's free scanner.

I hope this helped you in some regard.

--ItsJJStyles

Tollerowner

Tollerowner

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
I've tried most of the freebies and settled on Avast. I can't say if it actually works, but I've never had a problem.

Jayman01

Jayman01

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
Myself, in the past when I used Windows XP, I used AVG FREE and Spybot-Search and Destroy without having any conflict. Also, I had Zonealarm's free firewall installed. Now for a relatively new computer, this won't be to much, on older computers, it will probably slow them down a lot. But according to me, it's not really what security you have in your computer, it's what sense you have in your brain. I don't me to say that a specific person lacks brains, but I mean that one shouldn't start installing programs they don't know the source of, or they don't know it's secure; clicking on links in email that you don't know where it comes from; or not scanning EVERYTHING that goes into your computer. It all comes down to common sense.

MacAoidh

MacAoidh

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I've just downloaded Avast! & SUPERAntiSpyware

Replacing

AVG 9.0

I will need to wait a week or so to see how things go BUT i think i'll be fine eh ???

Mac :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I have the same combination along with Malwarebytes and I have not had any problems. The fact that Avast does definition updates everyday is great and let's me know they are on top of growing number of virus's out there.

MacAoidh

MacAoidh

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

I have the same combination along with Malwarebytes and I have not had any problems. The fact that Avast does definition updates everyday is great and let's me know they are on top of growing number of virus's out there.

Will be downloading Malwarebites also,

Thanks rshaffer61

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are welcome and I'm glad to be of assistance. :) :) :)

Advertisements

MacAoidh

MacAoidh

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

You are welcome and I'm glad to be of assistance. :) :) :)

This is my collection of protection on my laptop

Avast! 4.8 Home Edition

SuperAntiSpyware

SpywareBlaster

And last BUT not least

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Do i need to download a seperate firewall aswell ??? As windows defender seems to be doing more work than it used to when i had AVG installed ??? OR am i just being over protective ???

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
We typically recommend an antivirus, antispyware, and firewall for protection. The firewall can protection from any kind of intrusion, and also protect you if you do get infected, by notifying you of any attempts to access the internet by an unknown program. It's better to have a 3rd party firewall installed than using the Windows firewall, as the Windows version protects against incoming traffic but does not monitor outgoing.

MacAoidh

MacAoidh

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Have you any recommendation to which FREE firewall i should use ???

Thanks again

MacAoidh

MacAoidh

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I've now added Outpost to my collection :)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I have zonealarm. It works quite well.
Comodo became to annoying and troublesome. Once zonealarm "learned", then I was fine.
Comodo needed to keep learning and became a royal pain in the a**