Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

asus P5E motherboard usb pins

• Please log in to reply

Zylocks

Zylocks

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
ok, so im building my own computer for the first time. I;ve bought an asus p5e deuluxe and an antec case.

i have one usb connector thing that came with the mother board, and three options of putting it. One is a USB1112 slot, the other is a USB910 slot, and the last one is a USB78 slot. how do i know which one to put it in..?

many thanks!

Edited by Zylocks, 11 November 2009 - 05:47 PM.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
It doesn't matter which one you use. They will all work the same.

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
ok, i've got everything set up, but had some difficulties figuring out how to power up some things. in fact, a lot of things. the SAT cables didn't have anywhere to connect with on the power supply. Also the fans didn't have anywhere to connect.

I ended up connecting both fans, the dvd drive, and hdd together with one cable, and plugged that into a spot on the motherboard.

it didn't end up working :), it doesn't turn on.

would anyone be willing to live chat with me on msn or something?

jtscustomcomputers

jtscustomcomputers

• PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Do you have the manual for your motherboard?

If you dont have power supply with sata power connectors you will need an adapter......................YOur hard drive, dvd drive, and fans should be getting power from your power supply not your from your mobo..........Give me a minute I will look for a quick link with basic directions and pics for you...........do not attempt to turn on unless you are ensured your cpu fan is plugged into proper spot..usually labeled cpu_fan on mobo................Brb going to look for some visuals and simple basic computer build instructions for you.............

jtscustomcomputers

jtscustomcomputers

• PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Here are some quick links

http://www.pcmech.co...l-power-supply/

and another
http://www.maximumpc...ted_howto_guide

You should really have a friend who has some experience walk you through the first time you do a build........It does help and ensures you do not damage any components(nor oneself).

Edited by jtscustomcomputers, 12 November 2009 - 12:24 AM.

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
haha, yea i have the manual, and found everything extremely straight forward up until this part. I didn't think this was the way to do it, but thought I'd give it a shot.

I'll take a look at those links you gave me but first I'll try to explain my situation. I connected the large power supply chord to the motherboard. I then have two other... chords..? coming out of the power supply. One is a 2v2 male plug, and the other one is a 2x4 male plug.

I have one sata cable that goes from my hard drive to the motherboad, and one going from my dvd drive to my motherboard. I also have one power sata cable going from my hdd to my dvd drive, also with a female 1x4 plug.

I have two fans and both of them have a 1x4 male/female plug. The fans do go directly to the motherboard though right?

i also have a lot of extra cables that came with the power supply, but nothing seems to be able to connect with the two cables coming out of the power supply itself. I am confused!

*edit* neither link really related to my problem :S

Edited by Zylocks, 12 November 2009 - 12:34 AM.

jtscustomcomputers

jtscustomcomputers

• PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Take a close look at your manual and look at the actual board diagrams with connectors labeled on them......

The second power cable usually will go into a connector near your cpu upper left of mobo..........

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
thanks..

ok, so i figured out the problem. There were a whole bunch of inputs on the side of the power supply, where I could plug things in. I was so concentrated on the few cables coming out of it, that I somehow missed those.

Although now I have another problem >.<. Everything seems to power up, although nothing shows up on the monitor.

Also,a little side note problem. When I was installing the heat sink that goes over the cpu, the cable would not reach where it was supposed to plug in. It needed to be something like a cm longer for it to be able to get in there. I spent a long time trying different ways, but it was not going to reach. Ok.. this is going to be hard to explain. While trying to plug it in to the motherboard, one of the four cables that made up the plug, slipped out of a little fastener type thing. I realized I could do this to all of them, and it kind of loosened up the wires. It was now able to plug into the motherboard, but they are all loose around the heatsink and this worries me.. I dont want them getting caught in the fan or something. I'm not sure what I was supposed to do.. aaaarg

Edited by Zylocks, 12 November 2009 - 02:29 PM.

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
ok, heres a better question.

do you guys know of a good computer help website?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

ok, heres a better question.

do you guys know of a good computer help website?

:) :)

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
im just frustrated..

sarcasm doesn't work well in text.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not a problem Zylocks
Is the USB issue corrected?
Is there more that we can assist you with? I would be happy to watch this topic and assist those who have been helping if you need more help. :) :)
If we run into a problem I can request other Tech staff if you would like.
We are always happy to help because we all know how frustrating it can be especially for the first time builder. We've all been there at one time.

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
thanks >.<

yea, i've sorted out my original problem. And I sorted out the one where nothing showed up on my monitor. I've pretty much just spent a lot of time looking over everything, and fiddling around with things, and realized that there were two ports on my video card. I didn't see them.. so once I got them hooked up with some power everything seemed to work fine.

im still not sure what to do about my heat sink wires. i tried explaining it 3 posts ago, but im not sure if you quite understand what im saying.

also, im not sure if im supposed to change anything around in bios. I know how to change it to boot from my dvd drive, and how to install windows, but would I have to change anything else in there?

thanks again, i have a very love/hate relationship with computers right now >.<

Edited by Zylocks, 14 November 2009 - 09:01 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

im still not sure what to do about my heat sink wires. i tried explaining it 3 posts ago, but im not sure if you quite understand what im saying.

Did you take the fan\heatsink off the cpu and turn it just a quarter turn and reseat it? This should have given you enough line then to connect without a problem?

also, im not sure if im supposed to change anything around in bios. I know how to change it to boot from my dvd drive, and how to install windows, but would I have to change anything else in there?

Once installation is complete you can return the boot sequence back to normal if you would like. Some people leave the cdrom as first boot device all the time. This won't hurt anything leaving it this way. Other then that just make sure the date and time is correct.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
RTFMM...the mobo manual will tell you where everything is supposed to be connected...
if you don't understand any part of it, get a knowledgeable friend over to help you..
FYI..if you start playing around in the bios trying to overclock the system you can turn your new system into a doorstop...overclocking should be left to those with a good working knowledge of computers