Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP accidently changed in to windows 2000.

• Please log in to reply

dharmik

dharmik

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
My Laptop came with microsoft windows 2000 reinstalling cd.
my laptop was windows xp

I rebooted my laptop, with windows 2000 cd (because i am stupid :) )

now my laptop is windows 2000, i can't access internet or anything

i don't know whats going on.

i had some trouble with rebooting like:

1: i accidentally formatted Disk C:
2: It asked me for my product key, which rebooting doesn't
3: i don't know how to undo this.

This is what i did the first time:

first i shut down my computer.
put windows 2000 cd in my laptop, pressed f12
got in to boot menu
clicked on cd/dvd/cd-rw drive
press a key to boot for a cd came up.
i did that,
screen saying windows 2000 setup came up
setup started loading files
Then a screen came up saying (welcome to set up)
I pressed enter to continue
Then the microsoft windows 2000 professional end-user license agreement for microsoft desktop operating systems came.
i pressed f8 which said i agree then a screen saying
Then a box showed up with unpartitioned space and C drive and D drive.
I clicked C Drive and pressed enter (Enter=Install, I forgot to read the top which said (to set up windows 2000 on the selected item, press ENTER)
than screen came up saying (To Continue Setup using this partition, press C or cancel press escape)
I continued
than a screen came up saying Format the partition using the NTFS file ststem or Leave the current file system intact (no changes)
I pressed continue.
Than a screen came up saying to format the drive press F, or to select a diffrent partition for windows 2000 press escape.
i did the Format one.
and than the it started formatting, and windows xp was gone and i was left with windows 2000. .....

Than, i looked online and properly did the reboot, but my xp was changed to 2000.....
and i think i am screwed.... :) :)
can anyone help me?

is there a way i can get my XP back?
is there a way to make XP cd? or Flopy on your own, i don't want to spend 50-80$ on the cd.... (way to much)

i want to get my laptop back to windows xp, which was installed in my laptop, and my laptop is able to run with window vista

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
If your laptop came with a Win2k recovery cd, then it must have come preinstalled by the manufacture with Win2K to begin with. How/when did you install XP?

dharmik

dharmik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
i got the laptop as a gift from my uncle, and he said he installed XP for me in there. So when i got the laptop XP was installed already, but i had no cd for XP, just a cd for windows 2000.

dharmik

dharmik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have windows 2000 professional (Built on NT technology) right now.

i have a CD for windows xp professional sp3, but i don't know how to install it.

Edited by dharmik, 12 November 2009 - 04:55 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Is the CD a Retail or OEM disk? You mentioned earlier that you didn't have an XP disk... did you go out and buy one?

dharmik

dharmik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
window xp sp3 disk is not retail, i had this one in my desk, it is from online... i think.

it won't read in CD drive on my laptop, but it will read in my desktop

dharmik

dharmik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
i found that if you have windows 2000 professional you can only install windows xp professional is that true?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,308 posts

i found that if you have windows 2000 professional you can only install windows xp professional is that true?

Not true.

You can install any OS you want provided you have the proper disks. If you are upgrading to the next version the computer has to be able to handle the new OS. There are minimum specs.

If you have an upgrade CD, you have to have a previous OS.

If you downloaded the XP sp3 from the net, then it is most likely a crack/ illegal copy.

dharmik

dharmik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
i had microsoft XP on the laptop, and i accidentally formatted my C drive to windows 2000 professional (i had to enter a regetration key for windows 2000). Is there a way to switch it back to XP again?

i don't have the cd for the xp, so should i get a cd for XP home edition or XP Professional. My laptop is in good condition, and it was designed for windows xp, and is window vista capable.

Now: when i start my laptop the window comes up which says "please select the operating system to start: Microsoft windows 2000 professional or Microsoft windows 2000 professional. the second one shows error. and when i go to the first one the bar with windows starting shows up and than the start up screen for Microsoft windows 2000 professional shows up.

cd drive reads the cd for Microsoft windows 2000 professional
but it doesn't for Microsoft windows xp professional sp3.

so which Microsoft windows do i need?
xp home edition, or xp professional.

srry, i am not good with computers, so i am writing to much

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

As mentioned earlier, you have two choices..

1: Stick with Win2000 or,
2: Buy a legal copy of XP.

If your uncle gave you the laptop with XP on it, he was legally obligated to give you the cd as well.

Murray

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
If you are looking to purchase the upgrade and aren't sure if you want XP Home or Professional, simply look up the differences and see if you need the extra features offered in XP Professional. Most of them are aimed at business users (joining to a domain), so most likely XP Home will suit your needs.

dharmik

dharmik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
so windows 2000 can be upgraded to windows xp home edition cd (Windows XP Home Edition Upgrade) would work on my laptop right?

thanks guys, i was freaking out like crazy last couple of days... haha.

Thanks again, (i should start learning more about computers).

o one more question, it is legal to buy Microsoft software from site like eBay right?

thanks every one.
Have a wonderful day.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
eBay, you have to be very careful. There are some sellers on there who sell good software, but by and large most of them are not legit. It's best to avoid it altogether if you can.