Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Don't see USB connected HDD

• Please log in to reply

awjs01

awjs01

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,

I bought a cheap 20GB Maxtor HDD which I want to use as external storage with a USB connected caddy and Windows 98.

When I connect and power up the drive using the caddy and a USB 2.0 port, I don't see it under My Computer.

When I connect another external HDD (a Lacie external drive rather than a caddy) via the same USB port on my PC, it's recognised and readable.

When I connect the same HDD, in it's caddy, to a laptop running XP, the drive is recognised and readable.

I've tried reformatting the drive from the laptop, setting the jumpers differently on the HDD (master/slave/CS) with no success - it's still not visible.

Any suggestions about where to go next?!

Many thanks,

Al.

Advertisements

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
it is probably not plug and play with windows 98. try to download drivers or someting for the caddy. that is wierd

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Very few external hard drive are plug and play in windows 98, I know that in the shop here, we advise when selling harddrives and memory sticks to use the CD with it or go onto the Maker's site to get the drivers; however, you are lucky because as far as I know if you had windows 98 first edition then there are no drivers but it sound like yours is second edition, to see which just look at system in the control panel.

awjs01

awjs01

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Well I cracked it in the end...

I had installed drivers for USB to IDE caddy, but for whatever reason I had to install them again, which fixed the problem.

The Lacie external HDD is straight USB, so no requirement for the USB-IDE driver.

And the caddy worked with the laptop running XP ok as it's plug and play under XP. Maybe I'll upgrade the desktop one day...

Thanks all,

Al.