Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow loading pages

• Please log in to reply

nanabentley

nanabentley

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
I recently restore my acer aspire laptop. Ever since then when i try to go on the internet, the pages take forever to load and if i try to watch a video on youtube or something it just keeps buffering over and over every few words. What did i do wrong. colleen

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

I recently restore my acer aspire laptop

How exactly?

nanabentley

nanabentley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi again Broni..... I used the restore dvds that I made when I first bought it. I have done this a few times already. I have 2g memory and 250g hard drive. There is lots of room. I use CCleaner and I defrag once a week. It used to be so fast. Now it is so slow that I open and close my dvd burner to make it load faster. Somehow this works. I just cant figure out why it is so slow. Hope you can help

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

Now it is so slow that I open and close my dvd burner to make it load faster. Somehow this works

Wow! Really? Maybe something wrong inside your laptop?
What was the original reason for restoration?
Any errors in Device Manager?

nanabentley

nanabentley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
The reason I restored it was because it was full of my stuff and I decided to give my little boy a fresh computer to put his educational programs on that he is getting for christmas. There are no errors in device manager. The reason that opening and closing the dvd player seems to works is that it makes the flashing light for the computer flash faster. So if it seems to hang... well then it cant anymore. I dont know but it seems to work for me. Maybe it just helps to pass the time waiting for it to work so that I dont get impatient. The internet is not the only thing loading slow. All the programs are. It used to be that when I clicked on something it pretty much changed immediately. But now it takes a long time for everything to change. I guess I am just frustrated. Thank you for your time. People like me must drive you batty sometimes..... sorry... Thanks again, Colleen

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
It looks to me, you're having some hardware issue(s).

Try to remove hard drive and DVD drive, put them back.

barry3652

barry3652

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Are you connecting to the internet wireless?
Have you tried resetting the router?

You could try opening task manager and see how much work the processor is doing?
push together Ctrl Alt Del to start task manager.

What anti virus are you running?

nanabentley

nanabentley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi.... Sorry I had to deal with my little boy. He is only 7 years old has had the swine flu. He started running a fever again last night and this is the first chance that I have had to get on this again. I apologize for the delay. I did take out the hard drive and dvd burner as Broni suggested. I put them back in and still the same thing. I am running avg 9 for virus and there are 71 processes going from all users. I would copy and paste them but I dont think I can. I am connecting wirelessly and I have reset the router like 10 times. I wish I knew what was going on. Thanks for any help again.... Colleen

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I'm sorry to hear about your son's illness :)

Try to hardwire your computer to the router and see, if it helps.
If not, bypass the router and hardwire straight to the modem.

nanabentley

nanabentley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi Broni..... Sorry I didnt get a chance to try what you said until today. Okay I hardwired my computer to the router and magically that seemed to work. Thank you for all your help. I also wanted to ask you something else off topic. What is ATF.? I was reading something about it in another post simular to my post and this guy said you guys recommended it and it was the best thing he ever did. What is it if you know? Thank you.... Colleen

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

Okay I hardwired my computer to the router and magically that seemed to work.

In order for your wireless to work again, you may need to reinstall wireless driver.

ATF is a very good cleaner, which takes care of temporary files and some other garbage.

Download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Unselect Cookies.
Click the Empty Selected button.

If you use Firefox browser
Click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Unselect Cookies.

If you use Opera browser
Click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Unselect Cookies.

Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.

Another one, which I even prefer to ATF...

Download Temp File Cleaner (TFC)
Double click on TFC.exe to run the program.
Click on Start button to begin cleaning process.
TFC will close all running programs, and it may ask you to restart computer.

nanabentley

nanabentley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I already reinstalled my driver and thank you for the information on the programs. And again a big THANK YOU for the help with the computer being slow. It was about to drive me crazy as I just do not have the patience for slow computers...... Thank you Thank you ...... Colleen

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You're very welcome :)