Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

STOP Error 0x00000007E

• Please log in to reply

Lightning_The_Argent

Lightning_The_Argent

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hey guys. Thanks to your help last time I managed to clean out my malware. But now I have bigger fish to try.

Earlier today when I was on Yahoo Messenger for a little while, all of a sudden my laptop received a blue screen of death and crashed. Figuring out it was just a passing error I thought little of it and restarted the laptop again. Unfortunately my laptop kept restarting over. And over. And over. And over.

I first tried booting under recent settings that worked. Nothing. Next I tried Safe Mode. Still nothing. Fearing worse, I decided to disable automatic restart to get a clear image of the error. Here's the code:

0x0000007E 0xC0000005 0x8A4BAC21 0xF78A9C48 0xF78A9944

I tried looking into the STOP Error code thread but I didn't find anything useful. I also Googled and learned the error was software-based. Unfortunately I can't get into Windows anymore so I don't know what software issue is it.

My laptop doesn't have a Windows XP CD but rather a Recovery Disk with all the essential software. Chances are it may have the XP installation but I'm afraid if I run it, it'll wipe out all my files and folders.

Is there any way to save my laptop? Am I screwed?

EDIT: Okay I found a Windows XP CD but it's packed for my Dell computer. Is it advisable to use the XP repair function on that CD and reinstall XP on the laptop?

EDIT 2: Laptop is Toshiba Satellite M55-S135.

EDIT 3: Okay, I just found out I can run Recovery Console on my laptop just fine which helps out somewhat. I ran a chkdsk /r and it fixed any errors on my drive. Unfortunately the original problem still persists. Furthermore there aren't any other information on the blue screen other than the error number.

Edited by Lightning_The_Argent, 13 November 2009 - 07:14 PM.

Advertisements