Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Google Redirect [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

revonesheep

revonesheep

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hammerman I haven't run the cleanup stuff yet, I just noticed a new possible problem. Just about everywhere I have a file folder (some on desktop, some in My Pictures, My Music, My Documents, all over the place) there is a new little file most often titled Thumbs.db. Description says it is a Sqlite database file. I also now have album art files showing up in new places. What have I done?

Advertisements

revonesheep

revonesheep

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Oh, I forgot, when I scan the individual Thumbs.db file with Spybot S&D it says under Heuristic a red circle with an X and Status is Win32.Agent.wsg

hammerman

hammerman

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts
Hi,

The thumbs.db file is legit and is normally hidden. More info here.

During the cleanup process, your settings were changed to show these hidden files.

The Spybot detection is a False positive - see here

Re-hide your System Files and Folders to prevent any future accidents.
  • Click Start.
  • Open My Computer.
  • Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
  • Select the View Tab.
  • Under the Hidden files and folders heading deselect Show hidden files and folders.
  • Check the Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option.
  • Click Yes to confirm.
  • Click OK.

revonesheep

revonesheep

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks me laddie, I'm just a little paranoid. I've changed the settings back to hide those files. I'll get started on the cleanup.

hammerman

hammerman

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts
That's understandable.
Let me know if you need any further assistance.

revonesheep

revonesheep

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Cleanup done. One last question (I think it's the last); is there any danger of thing hiding on jump drives, external hard drives, palm, blackberry, etc? If so, how do I check and clean them?

hammerman

hammerman

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts
Hi,

Use Flash Drive Disinfector to disinfect your flash drives, removable drives and phones. Here are the instructions.

1 - Flash Drive Disinfector
Download Flash_Disinfector.exe by sUBs from here and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.
  • The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives including your mobile phone. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well.
  • Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
  • Reboot your computer when done.

Note: Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive plugged in when you run it. Don't delete this folder...it will help protect your drives from future infection.

revonesheep

revonesheep

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hammerman you have been such a help. Thank you so much. Is there any feedback or recommendation for a raise I can put anywhere? How can I help You? Peace be unto you my UK friend. Paul

hammerman

hammerman

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts
Hi Paul,

Thanks for those comments. You can add feedback here.

hammerman

hammerman

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Advertisements