Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Laptop works sometimes

• Please log in to reply

Tinc27

Tinc27

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
I am trying to fix a laptop. Here is what I kinda know. If the laptop is not used for some time, days maybe couple of weeks it will run for awhile when booted up. Maybe can use it for a day or so and then the screen will go on and off and then finally off, I guess. The computer has now been sitting around the house for about a couple of months, so I decided to take a look at it. I supplied power to it and it booted with a message. After I hit the ok button it continued to the desktop. But now the cursor is locked. As I am sitting here typing the screen went off and now it beeps every 8 to 10 secs. The computer was only on for about 3-5 mins.before it went off and started beeping. Here is the message I got on the desktop on startup. "could not load file or assembly 'MOM.Implementation,Version=2.0.2910.39003,Culture=Neutraul,Publickeytoken=90ba9c70f846762e" or one of its Dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. About 6mo. ago we had some tech look at it and he said the motherboard was cracked, but I can't see it. And then again maybe I don't have it broken down far enough. I just have the bottem of the laptop exposed so I can see the hdd, mem, and I guess part of the motherboard. Laptop is an Alienware m5700i-R2 Series. Running Windows XP Home Edition. Thanks for any help that you can provide.

Advertisements

jtscustomcomputers

jtscustomcomputers

• PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Sounds like you need to look at your video drivers. Try updating them or rolling them back.

Tinc27

Tinc27

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
How? I don't think it will stay on long enough. Can you give me the steps on what to do?

jtscustomcomputers

jtscustomcomputers

• PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
You will have to load in safe mode.................Keep hitting F8 as computer starts up after bios boots....and choose safe mode....................if computer operates fine in safe mode..............then you will want to uninstall the video driver....or if you have system restore you may be able to go back to time when it worked proper also.

Edited by jtscustomcomputers, 12 November 2009 - 12:47 AM.

Tinc27

Tinc27

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Will not boot now. Just beeps every 8-10 secs.

jtscustomcomputers

jtscustomcomputers

• PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Sounds like a hardware issue.........with it unplugged make sure your ram is fully seated.............From initial description you may also have a fan not working........if you have two ram modules try running one at a time to verify they both work.

Edited by jtscustomcomputers, 12 November 2009 - 01:01 AM.

Tinc27

Tinc27

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Fan is working. I have 2 mods. ill check it now.

jtscustomcomputers

jtscustomcomputers

• PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Here is link to the manual on it
http://aliendl.alien...sers_Manual.PDF

I am looking through it myself at the moment

Tinc27

Tinc27

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Both work

jtscustomcomputers

jtscustomcomputers

• PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Are you running on power cord? And what is it doing now...are you able to enter bios

Edited by jtscustomcomputers, 12 November 2009 - 01:24 AM.

Tinc27

Tinc27

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
power cord yes. BIOS if I can get it to start to boot. But no.