Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Video Card Question

• Please log in to reply

Nilla

Nilla

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
Hello,

I have been trying to help my roommate fix his computer. His screen is pink and it was determined (here) that his video card must be bad. Can anyone recommend a replacement? He isn't a gamer or video editor so it doesn't have to be anything top of the line by any means. Less expensive the better. His computer runs XP media center edition. It is an HP Pavilion a1412n.

I was looking on newegg but they have so many. I don't know either how to tell if they are compatible with his system. For example I found this MSI card, EVGA card, another EVGA card, a GIGABYTE card but I don't know if they are compatible.

Thanks!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
According to HP the motherboard has the following slots available.
* Three PCI
* One PCI Express x16 graphics
Based on the cards you ask about I sugest either the MSI or Gigbyte cards. Since you link to NewEgg I have linked to the list of cards which will work in the system HERE.
If I was to suggest a card I would suggest
XFX PVT86SYANG GeForce 8400 GS 512MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Retail

Nilla

Nilla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Thank you for the advice rshaffer61.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are welcome and please let us know if there is anything else we can assist you with.