Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Infected PC - Can only boot up in Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply

RubyJ

RubyJ

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Would really appreciate any advice on what to do.....
Went to switch my PC on couple of days ago and it took me to a screen (black background) that said there had been a problem caused either by hardware or software and gave me options to select to continue - initially I selected 'Start Windows normally' but this wouldn't work & kept returning me to the same screen. There is an option 'Last known good configuration' but I haven't tried this as if I do have a virus I wasn't sure if I should. I have booted up using Safe Mode, I have also used Safe Mode with Network.
Whatever I have has disabled McAfee Anti Virus, which in Safe Mode was showing as being out of date etc. I have Spybot Search & Destroy which I ran and this found the following -
Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter.FirewallByPass
Smitfraud.C
Spybot appeared to remove these entries OK.

I also ran SpyHunter which found different things -
Zlob Trojan
Wild Tangent
But I don't have the SpyHunter bit which actually removes these things...
Firstly why are Spybot & SpyHunter finding different things ? (apologies for my ignorance, I'm not a techie!)
Seconding.... can anyone advice what I can do next ?? I have no idea how I have got these problems, I have McAfee which runs all the time & is kept up to date, also Spybot Search & Destroy ?
Any advice would be really apreciated.

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post an OTListIt log in THAT forum.