Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ORGANISED FONTS, what do i do now?

• Please log in to reply

jayjay23

jayjay23

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
Hi everybody,

I have used Fontsuite Lite3 to try to organise my fonts.
I have been grouping them into catagories such as sans serif, serif, script, etc etc.
I then saved what I had done, it saved as a ".fst file"

Anyway, i go into illustrator and open my fonts, they all just still display in the same old alphabetical order.

How do i get my installed programs to display my new organised list of fonts?
And what is an fst file?

Am I doing something totally wrong?
A lot of websites out there tell you how to organise your fonts, or they claim to do so.
They say,
1. get a font manager program,
2. decide how you want to group your fonts,
3. use the font manager to organise your fonts...

and that is about the extent of what they say, nowhere in the world can i find somewhere that tells you exactly what to do and how to do it step by step. I need to know how to effect the changes i made because at the moment i just have a .fst file sitting there.

Please help me.

Jay

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You don't need to organise fonts, the whole idea of these programs is so you can see what you have, deactivate, add new ones without using the ability built into Windows.

The fonts are provided to a program by Windows, which itself will usually list them in alphabetical order. This is not a customisable option.

Effectively you don't need hundreds of thousands of fonts on a computer because you'll quite often find they all come back to the same dozen or so common ones.

jayjay23

jayjay23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
I understand your answer but its not what I am looking for. You are talking about a font viewer.

I NEED to organise my fonts into my commonly used, pictoral, and all other types of fonts by style.

I have a few thousand fonts and as a designer I need the variety, if not al the time. I know for a fact that other designers organise their fonts into sets and are able to disable certain fonts from showing up in illustrator and all other programs at a simpleclick of a button.

In your opinion I may not need to organise my fonts but Ihave a program which has the option, so it is clearly in demand, there are many many programs for orgaising and catagorising fonts, i just dont know what to do .fst file to activate it. (.fontsettype)

Edited by jayjay23, 13 November 2009 - 05:17 AM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

I understand your answer but its not what I am looking for. You are talking about a font viewer.

I NEED to organise my fonts into my commonly used, pictoral, and all other types of fonts by style.

Which is what your program does.
However Windows does not work like that.

I have a few thousand fonts and as a designer I need the variety, if not al the time. I know for a fact that other designers organise their fonts into sets and are able to disable certain fonts from showing up in illustrator and all other programs at a simpleclick of a button.

Do you have any sources that quantify this? I don't think it's possible with a program such as the one you're using.

In your opinion I may not need to organise my fonts but Ihave a program which has the option, so it is clearly in demand, there are many many programs for orgaising and catagorising fonts, i just dont know what to do .fst file to activate it. (.fontsettype)

According to Fileex.com, a site for file extensions, your .fst file belongs to the following programs, none of which have anything to do with Fonts:

# FastStats Analyzer File
# FL Studio (File) by Image Line BVBAFL Studio is a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) for Windows PCs (or Intel Mac/ Bootcamp).
# FruityLoops Channel State File
# GFI FAXmaker (Configuration File) by GFI Software (GFI FAXmaker is a fax server).
# MRS-802 (Rhythm Song Fast Method Formula Data) by Zoom Corporation (The Zoom MRS-802 is a multitrack recording studio and digital audio workstation).
# Unknown Apple II File ((found on Golden Orchard Apple II CD Rom))

Also, ".fontsettype" doesn't exist as, well, anything.
So I don't quite follow where these file types and extensions are coming from.
I downloaded Fontsuite Lite 3, and had a play with it. It looks like .fst is only used by that program. You can't add what it does to Windows as it's not designed for that, it is purely, from what I can see, a font viewer and organiser for your use, not with any program.

jayjay23

jayjay23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
ok thanks for having a go,
im getting a bit more to grips with it now,
i found that if i use the font organiser and create a new set i can then turn off all the fonts i dont want to use, i just click on the red cross on installed fonts turns them all off, and then click the green tick whilst the sans serif folder for example is highlighted,
then when i go to illustrator only the sans serif fonts are there to use.

so it kind of works like i want it to do.

thanks anyway.