Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

ISP/VPN/download speed

• Please log in to reply

kevin mitchell

kevin mitchell

• Pip
  • 3 posts
i am currently preparing to move to escondido, california. im not sure if its because i live in apartments or the area, but i cant find an ISP that has quick cable or DSL available where my apartment is. its not in BFE, so What the.......the fastest i've found is 5Mbps...but i know i wont see that kind of speed. bandwidth gets eaten up. however, i've stumbled upon the possibility of a VPN, based on a little reading, this seems it might be my solution to keeping my download speed from getting eaten up by lack of bandwidth. anybody have any suggestions to speed me up....im currently running road runner, and i get a consistant 15Mbps...on off hours, i see 25Mbps +.....is this maybe due to the fact that i live on a military base? solutions, solutions, pleeeeeaaaaasssseeeeeeee!!!!!!!!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
you're incorrect on your reading

a VPN (Virtual Private Network) is an encapsulation method that creates a secure pipe through a non secure network (the internet) to keep people from intercepting your traffic....it has NOTHING to do with maintaining bandwidth (in fact the overhead involved in VPN encapsulation will consume MORE bandwidth than normal traffic)..

kevin mitchell

kevin mitchell

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
ok. sweet. thanks for the info. thats what it was sounding like after i read info on VPNs...just a private highway at extra cost. lol. its cool, i found an ISP that has up to 25Mbps dwnld spd....whether i trust them or not, im not sure. any suggestions on that, or just keep searching the great search????

Edited by kevin mitchell, 12 November 2009 - 01:05 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
i (thankfully) don't live anywhere near California...so i can't really say anything for sure as to what you should go with...but...if it's a fly-by-night company that you've never heard of, there's a reason you've never heard of them