Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Two computers on Same Router

• Please log in to reply

canineandco

canineandco

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I'm not sure if this is a unique issue or not, but I couldn't find anything in the forums.

I have two computers (actually 3, but one is a private computer that I have no access to) connected to a router. It is a linksys router with no wireless capabilities (I do not know the model number or serial number - I do not have access to them.) I work in a small business and have been trying to set up a network now for a number of days. The owners live on the premises and the router and third computer are in their private apartment, which I cannot access. They are also not very computer savvy, making my job a bit more difficult.

Anyway, the two computers that I have access to are both running Vista. I can get them both to connect to the internet when I have them set to acquire the IP addresses manually. Because of the firewalls on the computers though, I want them to have static IP addresses (the third computer will also have this set up so his IP addresses don't interfere with the two computers I use.) As I was going through and checking all the settings, I realized that each of the two computers have different IP ranges, Default Gateways, even completely different DNS Servers. How do I correct this? I can't even access the router, because I don't know it's actual IP address, and since I see two default gateways (neither of which work), I'm terribly confused. Please help me, and let me know if you need additional information!

Jessica Clemons
Canine & Company
Administrative Supervisor
Edit: Unless you REALLY like getting spam, you should NEVER post your email address in an open forum .

Edited by dsenette, 12 November 2009 - 02:04 PM.
email in post

Advertisements

canineandco

canineandco

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
By the way, none of the default IP address for the router work to get me in either.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
if while set up to use DHCP to connect to the network both computers end up with seperate gateways (and ip ranges) and separate subnets assigned to them...then they're either NOT physically connecting to the same router on the other end, or they're connecting to a MUCH more complex than normal home router (possibly with multiple interfaces)...you're really going to need to discuss this with the owners of the equipment to get it straightened out...

in theory you COULD attempt to buy your own router and connect it into ONE of the connections available to you....then configure it the way you like (even include wireless if you want) and have YOUR computers connect to it....you SHOULD at that point still be able to get to the internet while keeping the networks seperate

canineandco

canineandco

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Unfortunately that is not possible. The owners of the business (and also the folks who know -nothing- about computers who live upstairs and own the connection, modem and routers) will not be purchasing any other equipment for this network. Everything should be default up there, so this is why I'm confused. They wouldn't even know how to access the web-based router program, let alone change any settings. They aren't my personal computers I'm trying to use... these are company computers that I'm trying to run off a home network. It's a very small business and we only have the 2, so they only want to use one ISP account for business and personal use combined.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
ok...so all of this stuff belongs to the owners of the company you work for? i'm confused it sounded like you have your own business operating out of someone else's building

Everything should be default up there, so this is why I'm confused

well that's apparently not the case...are they asking you to fix this up? if so...are they willing to give you access to the router to see how everything is connected and possibly reset the router back to defaults so that you can configure it correctly

canineandco

canineandco

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I'm really not sure. They own the business here, but are rarely able to meet my computing needs as far as things like that. I was really hoping to find a work around so I don't have to bother them constantly. I have asked them to move the router and modem downstairs into the business so I can have access, but it usually takes a long time for requests like that to go through - computers are the very lowest priority for them(I run the computers since no one else knows how to.)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
unfortunately...you're kind of in an SOL situation until you can get your hands on the equipment

FIRST we really can't help with mucking too much with this stuff since we can't verify ownership/culpability...you could be someone trying to do something against the wishes of the owners (not saying you are...just saying we have no way of knowing)

SECOND...without know anything about how the stuff is set up...and without having physical access to the equipment..troubleshooting is pretty much impossible here