Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP! Blue screen ...can't start in SAFE MODE

• Please log in to reply

rkr2rich

rkr2rich

• PipPip
  • 89 posts
I can't start windows....in SAFE MODE, LAST KNOWN GOOD CONFIGURATION OR WINDOWS RECOVERY CONSOLE. The Blue screen appears with

STOP: 0X0000007E (0XC0000005,0XF86B7340,0XF8B4F52C,0XF8B4F228)
atapi.sys - address F86B7340 base at F86A3000, DateStamp 3d6ddb04

I can't find my XP disc....only my windows 98 disc. I'm trying to locate another XP disc.

and I'm on my daughter computer.

Advertisements

rkr2rich

rkr2rich

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
I found my Reinstalation CD.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
when you can't even boot into safe mode...then a repair is in order...go here for the how to guide...

rkr2rich

rkr2rich

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
I started the computer with the disk but nothing happened...I don't see "Press any key to boot from CD" It goes to the start windows normally or safe mode...the the blue screen.

Edited by rkr2rich, 12 November 2009 - 11:57 AM.

rkr2rich

rkr2rich

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
I changed the booot sequence and was able to see "Press any key to boot from CD"
but when I press any key, nothing happens...it seems to read the disk but nothing after that.

I'm using the disk that came with the computer...Reinstallation CD Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition.

What am I doing wrong??

Edited by rkr2rich, 12 November 2009 - 11:30 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
download the following file: rc.iso....go here to get it...be sure the bios is set to boot from the cd drive first...

go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. click on BurnCDCC.exe
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its rc.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....when you get to the screen that gives you the option to install or repair ...select r...then when you get to the prompt...type in chkdsk /r..press enter

NOTE THE SINGLE SPACE BEFORE THE /
While chkdsk is running you will see a light blue window with a dark blue band at the top and bottom. or a black dos box depending on on which cd you use... a Chkdsk will display the specific stage it is checking as well as the percentage of completion of the stage....
there are 5 stages...it may appear to hang a a certain % for a hour or more...it even will sometimes go back over a area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT DOWN THE COMPUTER OR YOU CAN HAVE SERIOUS PROBLEMS...it can take a long time depending on how large the drive is...
You cannot do anything else on your computer while chkdsk is running. When chkdsk is finished, it will automatically reboot your computer....

rkr2rich

rkr2rich

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
before I start...

do you want me to set the bio on my daughter's computer to boot from the cd drive first to download rc.iso or my computer the one with the problem?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
use whichever computer that's working correctly to download and burn the cd...do this in a normal startup into windows...after burning the cd take it to the non working computer and power it up and follow the previous instructions

rkr2rich

rkr2rich

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
I'm running it now...what happens when it finishes and rebooted?

I thought I had picked up another redirect malware...and tried to correct it myself...if and when I get my computer working again will I have to address this problem?

Edited by rkr2rich, 13 November 2009 - 11:47 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
see if you can boot normally after running chkdsk /r...

Please go to Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide...
HERE....

That will help you clean up 80 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) follow the instructions start a new topic
here
post the OTListIt2 and Rooter logs ...
The "Topic Title" should contain the name of the infection that you are having a problem with...Use the "Topic Description" to include more details. This will help you get faster responses as some people are more familiar with certain infections....

if you are unable to download or run ANY of the tools...try downloading them on another computer and put them on a flash drive or cd and try installing them that way..
no joy...
start a new topic and let them know you can't run any of the tools..

Advertisements

rkr2rich

rkr2rich

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
it appears to be finished...however it did not reboot.

the bottom line reads

C:\WINDOWS>

should I remove the disk, type exit to restart?.....I removed the disk and typed exit...It didn't boot and I got the blue screen.

I'm running it again...

Edited by rkr2rich, 13 November 2009 - 03:33 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
what is the exact error message you get...

rkr2rich

rkr2rich

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
STOP: 0X0000007E (0XC0000005,0XF86B7340,0XF8B4F52C,0XF8B4F228)
atapi.sys - address F86B7340 base at F86A3000, DateStamp 3d6ddb04

This is the same error message before and after cksdsk.

Here's what happened... I thought I had picked up another rediredt malware...

In the Windows Task Manager I did something stupid and click 'end process' for iexplore.exe

I ran spybot went to bed and the next morning when I checked on it...I didn't run it, but I think it was regcure...I'm not quite sure...had also run a scan and I cleaned or fixed the results. After that my computer crashed.

Edited by rkr2rich, 13 November 2009 - 08:35 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
we don't recommend registry cleaners because they can, and usually do, cause more problems than they fix...
I want you to try booting into safe mode with networking...use the system for at least 3 hours and see if it crashes...
if it still crashes then we have to do a repair on the OS..

rkr2rich

rkr2rich

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
it didn't work...blue screen. will the repair to my os wipe out my the content on my computer?

Edited by rkr2rich, 14 November 2009 - 10:41 AM.