Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

An error I had a few times..

• Please log in to reply

jonti_swe

jonti_swe

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey everyone.

I'm running Windows XP, and well this is an error I've had a few times.

The weird thing is that it was quite a long time since I had this last time, until last weekend or so, but I reformatted my computer AGAIN so it works for now.

And it's not just a small error, since what happens is basically this:

My antivirus (Norman) doesn't start up at all.
My internet connection is suddenly gone and I can't get it back. (I tried all ways I could, even reinstalling the wireless LAN driver..doesn't help, same with reinstalling Norman) My wireless lan driver is Level One, by the way.
Every time I right click on something on the desktop or folder or start menu, it freezes so I have to taskkill explorer.exe

I'm asking you this now in case this would happen again, cause I really have no idea at all why this happens nor if it can be fixed. Maybe it's a virus or something but I don't know, but it's not impossible since the antivirus won't start, it could be some really bad virus.

I wrote down a few error logs from last time this happened, I'll see if you can get anything out of these:

Windows saved user JONTI-DMIIKZ9E4/Jonti registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.
This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the Local service or Network service account.

The RPC server is unavailable.

The Application Layer Gateway Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time.

Your computer was not assigned an address from the network (by the DHCP server) for the Network Card with Network Address 0023C373216A. The following error occured: The semaphore timeout period has expired. Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on it's own from the network address (DHCP) server.

The named section Global/Wmi Provider system counters, was created with insufficient size, this could constitute a denial of service attack (I especially don't like this one, does it mean that I might have been attacked?)

Faulting application lsass.exe version 5.1.2600.2180 faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00c003201

Windows cannot determine the associated site for this computer (The RPC server is unavailable) Group Policy processing aborted.

Norman Message
Application: NVC on-access Scanner
Node address: 78.82.35.249
Error message: Norman Virus Control error: Could not start NVC filter driver: Driver not installed

A critical system process, C:/Windows/system32/lsass.exe, failed with status code c000005. The machine must now be restarted.

The application lsass.exe generatedan application error The error occured on 11/04/2009 @ 18:56: 04: 625 The exception generated was c0000005 at address 00C00320

An error was detected on device/Device/Harddisk1/D during a paging operation

DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer system using any of the configurated protocols.

What do you think?

By the way maybe I also should say that during the time I didn't get those errors I used another hard disk (I have two in my computer) which though crashed for some other reason, but I don't really think the problem could be with my hard disk since the same error happened on my mum's computer once after I had been there, that was in summer during the holidays.

Something that also happened this time that hasn't happened before is that sometimes when the computer was restarted the monitor was black, nothing was shown though you could hear the log in sound. Might be unrelated, but I just thought I should mention that. Before I noticed that I got the error again, it did the same thing, and it was also extremely slow to start up which it wasn't really before when I had this error.

I just restarted my computer after some updates were installed and suddenly the monitor was black again, for the first time since I reformatted it, so I had to restart a few times more and turn of the current for like a minute or so to make it work again. That's why I was afraid that this error could happen again and I tried to find errors in Event viewer and while searching for something I found there, I ended up at this site thinking I should ask.
Though as I said I'm not sure at all that the monitor problem is related to the other error I mentioned, since as I also said I can't remember that the monitor had problems last time I had the error.

But yeah, you think you could help me find why this error happened, how I can prevent it and perhaps even fix it if it were to happen again?

Thanks in advance,
Jonathan, 17 from Sweden

Edited by jonti_swe, 12 November 2009 - 04:15 PM.

Advertisements

Sometimes needs help

Sometimes needs help

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hello, my name is Sometimes needs help and welcome to the forum.
First of all what I have found "Your computer was not assigned an address from the network" This means your network timed out or you were disconnected for some reason. A denial of service attack pretty much means your computer can't read some resource of its own. You may read more Here can be a very bad virus.

- Sometimes needs help

jonti_swe

jonti_swe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you, it could be that, the only thing is that I don't get how I could have got that virus or whatever it is on my computer that many times. But oh well.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hi guys can I please intervene a little. If there is any possibility that you may have a active infection right now then I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum. If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

jonti_swe

jonti_swe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Well..it's not a current error, it's one I had before and I've always had to reformat it because I couldn't find anyway to fix it. And well if I get it again I wanted to know what to do..And I wouldn't be able to connect to the internet to go to that removal thing either. But right now I don't have any problems though.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You probably backed up your files before reformatting, backing up the virus as well. As soon as you installed the backups you reinstalled the virus. Please use rshaffer61's advice and post in the malware forum.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
So you have no issue right now?
If you can't connect to internet you could always use a working system to download the requested programs and then transfer them to the infected system via a cd, usb pen drive or a flash drive.

jonti_swe

jonti_swe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

You probably backed up your files before reformatting, backing up the virus as well. As soon as you installed the backups you reinstalled the virus. Please use rshaffer61's advice and post in the malware forum.

Eehm..I used a Windows XP CD to reformat..I didn't back up the files on that CD what I know, unless they're backed up automatically at Setup..That could be the case though, I guess. Maybe I should try to do that removal thing anyway.

rshaffer- yeah I guess I could.

Thanks.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Depending on the virus a format may not have gotten rid of it. Without giving advice as that is against GTG TOU policy, there are certain infection that more drastic methods of cleaning a system have to be taken to ensure the infection does not carry over to the new installation. .

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
didn't you backup any files from your previous installation (documents, pictures, music, downloaded programs, etc)? If you did not then what I wrote before does not apply to your case.

Reading again your first post It looks as if the problem could be hardware related. Please download memtest from my links below, follow the instructions and create a bootable CD. Boot with the new CD and let memtest run at least one complete cycle. There should not be any errors (red lines) during the test.

I would also run a hard disk test. Download the diagnostic tool from the hard disk manufacturer site and run a full test.

jonti_swe

jonti_swe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

didn't you backup any files from your previous installation (documents, pictures, music, downloaded programs, etc)? If you did not then what I wrote before does not apply to your case.

Reading again your first post It looks as if the problem could be hardware related. Please download memtest from my links below, follow the instructions and create a bootable CD. Boot with the new CD and let memtest run at least one complete cycle. There should not be any errors (red lines) during the test.

I would also run a hard disk test. Download the diagnostic tool from the hard disk manufacturer site and run a full test.

No I didn't do that.
And right, thanks (: