Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Sound issues with XP installation

• Please log in to reply

T1home

T1home

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I hope someone can help me. About two years ago I got a virus/malware on my computer. After attempting to take it off I finally came to the conclusion I needed to wipe my HD and do a clean install of Windows XP.Things didn't go so well because after the installation my sound card and my DVD burner wouldn't work.
I downloaded the drivers and installed them in the order I was told to download them in by the Dell website but that didn't work. I called Dell tech support and paid for that service and after the tech updated all my drivers she told me my sound card and my DVD burner needed to be replaced. I disagreed and she told me I was wrong and she would be happy to direct my call to the sales department. I declined to go to the sales department, and when I answered the survey I answered honestly saying my problem was not resolved. The next day the manager of the place where my call went to called me and told me once again I was wrong and that my sound card and my DVD burner needed to be replaced, and that the tech who helped me had enough schooling to know this, I on the other hand didn't have the schooling or knowledge to assume it wasn't the sound card and DVD burner and YES this is what the tech literally told me. Oh and of course he offered more than once to transfer me to the sales department, I declined that call transfer.

Since that time I have another computer. NOT a Dell but one that was built by myself with the help of my very computer savvy son, Ok, he's the one that built it and I handed him parts. I have tested both the sound card and the DVD burner from the Dell and BOTH work just fine. Note, my son has tried to get the computer to work, and he can't get it to work either.
I thought with a little time I would try once again to not have a rather large expensive paper weight sitting in my corner and attempt to install XP along with the appropriate drivers in the correct order but it didn't work. So my computer is still not working correctly.
I apologize because I thought with time my anger and frustration would subside and it has but not enough. The computer wasn't very old when this happened and I don't appreciate spending the money on something that is now basically worthless.
I'm not positive what information you need about the computer but I do still have the invoice if you tell me what I should write down.
Dimension 9100, Pentium D 820, sound blaster audigy 2 ZS, PCIw/Dolby Digital EX, IEEE1394, 7.1 channel, THX cert, I can't find the brand of the DVD burner.
Right now Iím not so concerned with the DVD burner not working because I have a fully functional CD burner and USB ports so I can use flash drives to copy anything, Iím just trying to get my sound to work correctly. When I say itís not working I just mean no sound is coming out of the speakers, and yes I have updated the drivers and tested the speakers on my working system. The device manager only has one yellow ? that indicates the PCI card. The computer shipped with a modem but I never used it so we took it out and itís not something Iíve disabled.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please Go to
1: STARTand the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter
4. Look for any entries with Yellow Exclamation ! marks or Red X's

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

T1home

T1home

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Here you go, and sorry about the large font in my last message.

Attached Thumbnails

• untitled.JPG

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK that is a hiccup of the OS.
Right click on that entry and uninstall. The entry should not return.

Now lets check the sound problem.

Go to Start then to Control Panel
Click on Sounds and Audio Device Properties
First window what is the soundcard it is showing on the top?
Is the Mute box checked?
Click on the Advanced button in this window and in the new window under the drop down menu what is it showing for your speaker setup?
Wait before moving to next steps for reply......Close this window when done

Next click on the Audio tab at the top and provide the following information..
Default Device in the Sound playback section

T1home

T1home

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
The sound card that it shows is SB Audigy 2 ZS Audio [CC80]
Mute is not checked and speakers are showing correct config.

When I checked the audio tab the default device in the playback section was the SB Audigy 2 ZS Audio [CC80]
However, today I found a new driver on the Dell website and I downloaded it on a whim it is call sigmatel audio and it was an option to choose as a default rather than the SB so I choose it to see what happened and I had sound. It's not quite right because I have to turn the volume to almost half way but it is working!

Also I need to test the IEEE134 to see if it's working correctly. But as it is right now, it's something I can live with as a backup computer.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is great news and the IEE134 is Firewire connection correct?

T1home

T1home

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yes it is a firewire. I'll test it tomorrow and see if it's working. Thank you so much for your help!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are welcome and I will wait for your results.

T1home

T1home

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yes! My firewire port is also working. Thanks again.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Great so everything is now working correctly for you?
Make sure to check the master volume to make sure it isn't turned down now.

Check speaker connection to back of system
Check volume control in windows by doing the following:
Go to Start and The Run
Type in sndvol32.exe and press Enter
Make sure Master Volume is not muted and turned up
Check Cd Player volume is not muted and turned up

T1home

T1home

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I don't see any more issues with the sound. I'm not sure the recording feature will work but if I change the default to the sigmatel I think it will work and it's not something I use that often. If I do much it will be on this new computer because it's capable of so much more. I just wanted the Dell for older programs.
I still don't have the DVD burner working but I'm sure it's going to be the same issue which is to find the correct driver and installing it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The dvd drive works in another computer from what I read?
It sounds to em like a ribbon problem. Is the drive a IDE or SATA drive?
To find out is there a wide ribbon on it going to the motherboard or a thin cable?

T1home

T1home

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
It's an IDE. The ribbon is connected to both the CD drive and the DVD drive. It was working just fine until the new install, which is when I noticed it. I didn't burn things every day but I quickly noticed it because when I would put a DVD into the drive it would change from saying it was a DVD drive to saying it was a CD drive.
Also I do have another internal SATA DVD burner so I put that in it and it does the same thing by saying it's a CD drive and won't burn.