Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NEED A 007 GEEK ASAP! SOS!

• Please log in to reply

Mickey061455

Mickey061455

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hello all, First time here,

I am trying to track down an internet thief who somehow
comandeered my debit card #'s. I never made ANY purchase
to this company or person; although I have made internet
purchases in recent years.

I looked up my debit card activity and it lists
"justice web" from computer terminal #003684 and
PART of a toll-free phone number as "866-246-58"
and a charge amount of $103.37. It is still in the pending
status as the person from my on-line bank, AccountNow, told me.
AccountNow only told me that the amount charged came from New
Albany, Ohio. Yes, I have already called the card in as stolen.

Can anyone help me figure out who did this?

Sincerely, Mickey

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
The police are the ones to call here. :)

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
Hi there,

There are some ways to look in to things like that, but I agree with Troy; you should contact your local law enforcement since its a criminal act.

eriol8

eriol8

• PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
its a good idea :)

Jayman01

Jayman01

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
yeah. police will be able to inform themselves who made the purchase from which location through your bank. if you do regular online banking, its a possibility you have a keylogger install on your system. personally, I'd check that. its possible in most situations to verify what ip address has logged on to your computer as well, to recuperate the information, or what ip address the information was sent to. but its WAY complicated. I don't think anyone here would want to adventure into that when the police would do it all anyways. it has happened to me once before (to have discovered a keylogger on my machine), but fortunately, i changed all my passwords and pin numbers immediately, and annulled my credit card.

Massacci3

Massacci3

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I too was just hacked as of this morning. I have three withdrawls from my debit card witch I did not authorizre. They were from Apple, Yahoo Personals and Albany. Has anyone else that has been hancked by these frauds gotten a lead of any kind?

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
As noted above, your best resource will be the authorities, namely: Your Bank, and the Police.
Your bank will most likely assist you promptly to restore the fraudulent charges and prevent further.

The police may or may not catch up with the perpetrator.

As far as being interested in "leads".... Think about it for a minute.
These are not people that the ordinary citizen would benefit by getting closer and finding out more information about the perp.
Rather, these are people that you will benefit from distancing yourself from them.

Use the Bank's assistance. Make the report to the police.
Using phone, or in person, or at least a clean machine, change your usernames, passwords and accounts.
Then use your own onboard utilities to clean up any spyware, or better yet, I'd recommend the excellent folks who assist in the Security (virus, spyware, trojan removal forum. Here at Geeks to Go they are the Malware Staff and they are truly excellent.

Best Regards

BradMcKinley

BradMcKinley

• Pip
  • 8 posts
You need to forget about who took your card as revenge is unlikely in 95% of all cases such as these. Sorry NCIS is not on the case.

You need to change all your online passwords. Immediately. From ANOTHER COMPUTER. Yours could be heavily infected.

I'd change any other bank or credit based passwords first. Then change your email password to something different than anything else. Actually to be quite honest you should have different passwords for all your online accounts.

Anyone who recommends otherwise has been lucky and doesn't know how urgent this is.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
also

Please read the Malware/Spyware cleaning guide here follow the instructions at the top....

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) then post an OTL log in THE MALWARE FORUM forum.
(Posting OTL logs or ANY other logs requested in the malware/spyware cleaning guide in any other forum other than the malware forum is forbidden. If you post any of these logs in any other forum, it will be removed and it will take you longer to get help, so please make sure you only post logs in the malware forum)

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread..