Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

disk clean up and restore?

• Please log in to reply

Alikhat68

Alikhat68

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Hello,

I'm not even sure if I've come to the right place. I have messed up my PC and am not even sure what is causing my "ailment." My PC kept getting trojans, malware, spyware...Oh MY! So I scanned and ran and scanned and ran...McAfee, Anti Malwarebytes, spydoctor, defender...I think that's all and they found things and fixed things and still my computer wasn't working quite right. So I decided to do a maintenance...I started w/disk clean up but I haven't done it in so long I forgot to back up and now I can't get any of my programs to open up including system restore. What do I need to do?

Ali

By the way "hello" I'm new and haven't introduced myself, but I am currently using my old PC which is slow because my newer PC is the one described above and my main connection w/my husband who is currently in Afghanistan is via email...please help!!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum. If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Alikhat68

Alikhat68

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
OK, as soon as my PC starts again...I'll try that.

Thank you!!

Ali

Alikhat68

Alikhat68

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Ok, I am trying all the steps but it is quite difficult since that computer can't get to a browser. I am downloading all the files w/my dinosaur and putting them on flash drives to transfer. Sometimes my other PC can't read the thumb so I had to burn it to a disk. Are you sure that a quick scan w/Malwarebytes is enough? This entire time my McAfee has been popping up w/message that is has blocked and deleted a trojan vundo.gen.ab in WINDOWS/system 32/zediteda.dll it just keeps popping up over and over and over and my computer is not online. Should I turn McAfee off?

Thanks for your help.

Ali

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Hi

Are you sure that a quick scan w/Malwarebytes is enough?

It is important to follow the directions of the guide you read... The logs produced are just preliminary logs to help the expert to "get a taste" of what you are infected with... They will use any tool they feel is necessary and proper to best remove your infection after they disseminate your logs.

Sometimes my other PC can't read the thumb so I had to burn it to a disk.

If you can download all the programs to your other computer and burn all the files to one disc, then you will not have to jockey a lot of disks around. It'll be much easier that way.

As for shutting off McAffe I don't know if it is a good idea or not... I would leave it on until instructed otherwise by one of our malware experts in the malware forum, Unless one of them comes over here and says to do so...

Good luck