Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disk corruption/Vista "not genuine"

• Please log in to reply

Meraklas

Meraklas

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Okay, here's the go..

I turned on my computer last night, and when I logged into my account a series of things happened.

1. I got a message telling me that my C: drive is corrupt.
2. I got a message telling me that my Vista isn't genuine. Which it is, I assure you. Though it came on my laptop when I bought it, so I can't reinstall it, which is what another messaged asked me.
3. I thought I should restore, but obviously, I can't because C: is corrupt. It tells me to perform a disk check, which I have about twenty times now, through the start up disk check and through the disk check available on "Advanced System Care". I've run startup repair once and it didn't help in the slightest.
4. I've scanned with IObit security, ASC, Spyware Doctor, Adaware and PC Tools Antivirus. Nothing other than run of the mill cookies has come up.

So, this is step five.. Things seem to be getting worse. The personal settings I had for the colouring of my windows doesn't seem to be working, and my desktop isn't showing up..

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks for your time. ^^

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you run chkdsk /r or just chkdsk

Meraklas

Meraklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I didn't do it on command prompt, because it won't let me. I just had to schedule disk checks for when I started up my computer, before the logon screen is displayed.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you put checks in the boxes...
automatically fix file system errors
and scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors
if not rerun it using those options
if so
go to the event viewer...application...scroll down to winlogon and get the results and post them for me

Meraklas

Meraklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Seeing as I first posted this problem a while ago, I ran another disk check when I read your post. For some reason, however, the disk check isn't coming up in any of my event logs..

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
again...

did you put checks in the boxes...
automatically fix file system errors
and scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors

Meraklas

Meraklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Yes, I did. Every time.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here and download Everest Home Edition 1.51...launch it and click on the + beside storage...click on physical drives ...get a screenshot and post it for us..

Meraklas

Meraklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Posted Image

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Disk Management is part of the Computer Management console in Administrative Tools.

To open Disk Management, follow these steps

Choose Start...Control Panel
Click the System Maintenance link, and then click Administrative Tools

Click Computer Management In the Computer Management pane, expand Storage...
and then click Disk Management.
get a screenshot and post it...

Meraklas

Meraklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Posted Image

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
that's a strange way to partition a drive...WHO DID IT AND WHY...

1. Download the Windows Data Lifeguard Diagnostics, WinDLG.zip from here...
just click on the download button under the picture...run the EXTENDED TEST
2. Extract and run the program, WinDLG.msi. If running Windows Vista, you will need to Right-Click on the WinDLG.msi file and choose to Run As Administrator.
3. Read and accept the license agreement to continue.
4. On the main program screen, there are two windows. In the top window, you will see the drives in your system, that are available for testing. The model number, serial number, and capacity of each drive will be displayed. In the bottom window, the partition information for the selected drive will be displayed.
5. Highlight the drive and select the icon on the top row to test or run SMART status.
6. The DLGDIAG - Select an Option window appears.
7. You will see the following options:
* QUICK TEST - performs SMART drive quick self-test to gather and verify the Data Lifeguard information contained on the drive.
* EXTENDED TEST - performs a Full Media Scan to detect bad sectors. Test may take several hours to complete depending on the size of the drive.
* WRITE ZEROS - writes zeros to the drive with options of Full Erase and Quick Erase. File system and data will be lost.
* VIEW TEST RESULT - displays the latest test results.
8. Select the test you wish to perform and click the Start button.
9. When the test completes, you will be notified with a pass/fail message. Click the Close button.

Meraklas

Meraklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Okay, I ran an extended test first, but it froze my entire computer 3/4 of the way through. After I rebooted, I ran a quick test, and this happened:

Posted Image

I swear to god, the universe wants my computer to explode.

Edited by Meraklas, 04 December 2009 - 07:43 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
backup anything you can't live without, now...the drive is on its last legs...it will have to be replaced

Meraklas

Meraklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Way ahead of you, I did that a while back when this all started happening.. =/ So there's nothing I can do?