Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bad Image message for every program on computer!

• Please log in to reply

Simultaneously Attacking

Simultaneously Attacking

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I meant the OS. Wrong terminology. My bad.

The C drive has 74.4 gigs with 29.9 gigs free. The internal H drive has 465 gigs with 371 gigs free.

The Linux idea is new to me. Let me know what you think is the best way to proceed, as I do not know.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The OS if the parallel installation works will be replaced.
The programs will need to be reinstalled also once we make sure the issue is resolved. The only issue is the backup of your data that you don't want to lose.
Music, pictures, videos and office documents.

Simultaneously Attacking

Simultaneously Attacking

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
What about email. I have thousands store in Outlook for complaince purposes. Will I be able to retrieve those?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Are you using Outlook or Outlook express?
You can export those to a file and then import them back in.

The reason I ask about which one is because MS has a backup program for both of them. I use it for my company email in outlook.

Simultaneously Attacking

Simultaneously Attacking

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Outlook

Simultaneously Attacking

Simultaneously Attacking

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
There has to be a way to clean up the problem. Isn't there any detection device out there I can try that knows how this problem occurs and how to fix it?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
We have done everything to fix the problem with the files and the OS. Now it is either do a repair installation or a parallel installation.
We cna try a repair but I can not guarantee it will work with your Dell. I am including the instructions.

· Insert your Windows XP CD in your CD-ROM and then Restart your computer.
· At the first post screen start tapping the Del key to enter System Bios
· Find the Advance Options or Boot Sequence screen.
· You will need to change the boot sequence so that the CDrom is first and the HD is second.
· Press F10 to Save and Exit and then press Enter to accept.
· The system will now reboot
· When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
· When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER
· To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
· At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is displayed. DO NOT SELECT THIS OPTION.

· On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.
· Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected and highlighted in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP.
· Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

You can also go HERE
to read a step by step tutoria

Simultaneously Attacking

Simultaneously Attacking

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I'm afraid this is going to have to wait until the middle of next week. I'll be back in touch. Thank you!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not a problem we will be here when you are ready. :) :)

Simultaneously Attacking

Simultaneously Attacking

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
This sounds a bit scary. Is there a risk I could lose my data?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you follow the instructions step by step you will have no problems and your data will be Safe. If you would like to backup the data first to make sure then do the following:

Get "http://distro.ibibli...ons/puppylinux/[/b...Get puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso download it and burn it to cd
if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files get Burncdcc from my signature...it is a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its memtest86.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....

put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....puppy will boot and run totally in ram...if your hardware is is good working order you will know...
after you get it running and your at the desktop...you take the puppy linux cd out and then you can use the burner to copy all your data to cd/dvds
you can also use it to backup your data to a external usb harddrive..just have it hooked to the computer when you boot up with puppy...

==========================
quick guide for saving data...music..files on a system that will not boot using puppy Linux..

after you get to puppy desktop..
click on the drives icon...looks like a flash drive...top row..it will list all the drives connected to

your computer...

click on the red icon for the drive you want to mount...in this case its a flash drive ...puppy will

mount the drive..the drive icon turns green when its mounted...
minimize the drives mounter window..you will need it again in a few minutes..
drag the right edge of it sideways to shrink it to its narrowest size...about half the width of the screen...then drag the window to the right edge of the screen...

now click on the icon that looks like a filing cabinet (kind of yellow) on the main drive...it should
already be green..
you will see a list of all the folders on the main drive Usually your C: drive..shrink that window to
the narrowest you can..about half the width of the screen...drag that window to the left side of the screen...
at this point you should have 2 windows open on your desktop..the flash drive on the right side..
go back to the folders on the C: drive...click on the documents and settings folder...then your user
name or all users..find the folders that has your data..
drag and drop the folder with the data you want to make copies of to the flash drive window...

your options are to move ..copy ect...JUST COPY..if its to big you will have to open the folder and
drag and drop individual files until the flash drive is full...(I have a 120 GB external USB drive for
big data recovery jobs and a 4 GB flash drive for the smaller jobs)..after you get the files copied to
the flash drive...
Click on the drives mounter you minimized earlier
UNMOUNT THE FLASH DRIVE by clicking on the green icon..you will once in awhile get error messages when
unmouting the drive..ignore them..when the flash drive icon turns red again its safe to remove the
flash drive..trot on over (stroll if you want to look cool) to another computer and plug in the flash

drive and copy all the data files ( I drag and drop) to the other computer..
make sure the other computer can read them...

now delete the data on the flash drive...take it back to the misbehaving computer and plug it in

again..click on the drives icon again and repeat until you have all your data transferred to the working
system..

Thanks to happyrock

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Search results on your problem HERE

I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the
START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own.
If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum.
If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here