Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Freezing mouse(mice)

• Please log in to reply

puzzledb

puzzledb

• PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Cursor freezes whilst loading windows and even when it is loaded. Tried a new mouse but same result.
Cannot navigate using direction keys or tab.
A memory stick lights when tried in all USB ports so they are getting power.
When the mouse is plugged in (it is a laser mouse) it flashes briefly then goes out.
When Windows is loaded sometimes a message comes up saying USB device not recognised.
So I can not navigate to Start to get Control panel to begin diagnostics.
Can start in safe mode and then can use the direction keys but of course cannot get to Start so I an stuck.
Any ideas to make headway on this problem.
I think I need to remove the mouse driver and then re-install it but I do not know how to do this.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to borrow a mouse with a PS2 connector, or buy an adaptor of USB to PS2 (very cheap) and use your present equipment. If it work go to device manager and uninstall all USB drivers except for printers and cameras. Reboot the computer, let windows reinstall the drivers and try to work the mouse through a USB port.

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Many thanks to you "THE SKEPTIC".
I got an adaptor but sad to say that it did not solve the problem.
However the laser mouse does at least light up this did not happen when the mouse was connected to the USB ports, except for a brief flash and then nothing.
You say "go to the device manager and uninstall all USB drivers except for printers and scanners",but how can I do this if Icannot navigate there with the mouse.
Sorry to sound so dumb about these matters but I am just a computer user and do not poke about under the hood so to speak but I will give it a go if you or somebody can tell me how to get there and perhaps let me have very simple instructions about finding these things called drivers and what to click on to uninstall.
Thank you in hopeful anticipation.

Yours truly,

Dave.

TheWhiteRose000

TheWhiteRose000

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
I had a problem simalier to this.
It just happened that the USB drivers I had where bad.

x3

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Please try another mouse. Get a USB one and try it once as a USB and next time as PS2 (with the adapter).

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Thank you once again Skeptic, have got a new USB mouse(laser) and plugged into PS2 adaptor, and into computer, mouse lights up and stays lit but I m still unable to move cursor away from centre.
On start up I get a message cable fault PXE E61!
Pressing windows logo and tab and arrow keys I can navigate but can't find out how to produce a right click which would take me to tolsand then I could do a disk check (according to Computer Active magazine issue 306)
All of my problems seemed to start when AVG anti virus began downloading the latest definitions last friday.
Dave

TheWhiteRose000

TheWhiteRose000

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
Have you tried disabliling AVG to see if that helps?>?

Johnny Tootall

Johnny Tootall

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Hello

This won't fix your problem, but it might make it easier for you.
On your keyboard, press The left alt + left shift + num lock, to open up Mousekeys.
MouseKeys is an accessibility option that allows you to move the mouse using the number pad.
here's a link to more information about mousekeys.

Johnny

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Thank you for suggestion to disable AVG.
After many restarts computer became, or so I thought,stable.So I ran AVG and it found no threats except for the very common types of spyware like Doubleclick,all of which it sent to the virus vault.
However still being suspicious I went to add/remove programmes and removed it and downloaded the Avast free antivirus. This also found nothing.
Then the computer began to freeze at various stageS of loading Windows and so I had to keep on powering down to get out and restart.After many attempts computer became stable once more.This happened after I got a screen saying checking drive C.
But now Windows loads O.K.but with cursor stuck in the middle of screen.
Tried all 6 USB ports but appart from a brief flash of the laser mouse, nothing.
Purchased a new laser mouse but got same result.
Power is going to the ports as is proved by inserting a memory stick into each and it lights up.
Got a USB to PS2 adaptor and tried that but cursor still stuck and cannot be moved using the mouse even though mouse lights up.

TheWhiteRose000

TheWhiteRose000

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
could be bad mouse drivers.
try going to the "Device Manager"

"Uninstalling the PS2/USB Mouse"
And reinstalling it.

Advertisements

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Thank you White Rose.
I do not know what steps to take to get to the device mamager.May I ask you please to guide me.
I can press the Windows logo by using the direction keys then I can select control panel.After I get there I do not know to do next.
If with your help I do eventually get to the device manager how do I uninstall the USB/PS2 driver,i.e. what to click on (actually in my case pressing enter serves, or so it seems,like making a left click with the mouse button).
Where do I get a new working driver to replace the one that has been removed ?
And what would I have to do to install it?
Sorry to ask so many questions which may seem so dumb but this is all new territory to me.
Also sorry about taking so long to reply but very busy at home and then the my broadband connection slowed right down on my lap top.

With best regards for your help,

Dave.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please Go to
1: STARTand the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter
4. Look for any entries with Yellow Exclamation ! marks or Red X's

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Thank you JOHNNY TOOTALL,most interesting.I went to the link and printed it off for future reference.
At least I should now be able to make a right click. That had got me foxed until now.

With best regards,

Dave.

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Thank you RSHAFFER61 for your very clear instructions.
Turned on computer this morning to carry them out and upon putting the mouse back into one of the USB ports found that it worked i.e. no longer stuck in the cente of the screen.I will do as you suggest and create a screen shot as a JPEG and attach this to my next reply.
I also saw very briefly on starting up a line that said words to the effect,cable fault PXE 61.
What does this mean and is it a clue to a diagnosis of the fault on my machine?
The computer has done this before and it will work fine for a few hours or even days but does freeze again.

With best regards,

Dave.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I also saw very briefly on starting up a line that said words to the effect,cable fault PXE 61.

Yes this needs to be addressed but let's finish with the mouse issue and the device manager as this may help with the other issue also. :)