Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Freezing mouse(mice)

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you put a new IDE ribbon on the HD?
This may be what is causing the error message. You will have to play with the system for awhile to see how the mouse works.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if your booting into windows and able to use the computer try connecting the Ethernet cable to get rid of the
Media Test failure- check cable error message...

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Thank you Happyrock I will try that.
Sorry that I called you Hardrock in an earlier post.
San Diego mmm I well remember going there to see the zoo when I was a child.We lived in L.A. then.

With best regards,

Dave.

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Hello rshaffer61,
No I did not fit a new IDE cable and have abandoned the idea of going to the computer fair to buy one as it would mean a 40 mile trip through heavy traffic on cold wet windy night and paying £4 each to get in.I am going to try the suggestion put by Happyrock.
Whilst I have been typing this my wife turned on the PC. Windows loaded OK but after playing Solitaire for a few minutes the mouse cursor disappeared.This makes a change from freezing.
Got "Media test failure-check cable" message again om starting up.
I have had it suggested to me that if I can get the machine to run for long enough then I should reinstall the mouse driver.What do you think?
How is this done?
Clearly when running it in stripped down form there was some connection that should have been made which wasn't,because Windows would not load at all and I just got messages about Boot device(see earlier post).

With best regards,

Dave.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok to do the mouse option you would need to egt back to the Device Manager
Please Go to
1: STARTand the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter
4. Expand the entry with the Mice and other pointing devices in it and then right click on the mouse and then click on Uninstall
5. You will then reboot and windows should reload the driver from backup folder.
Connect up the ethernet cable Happyrock mentioned in post #152 and then boot up the system. DO you still get the media error message then?

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Hello rshaffer61,
Turned it off twice due to mouse freeze ups.Plugged in Ethernet cable and rebooted.No media test failure message this time and all going fine except message came up to tell me internet connection not working.I clicked on the Windows connection Wizard (ha ha)and got connectted only after turning of Modem for 1 minute and turning on again.Now typing this message out on wokking PC(but for how long)
I am now going to carry out your instructions for uninstalling mouse driver.
I will report what happens.

With best regards,

Dave.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK let us know. It seems we are fixing little problems so hopefully this will fix the mouse now.

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Hello rshaffer61
OK reinstalled mouse driver.I was asked if I wanted to restart computer and so I said yes.It started up fine with no Media test failure message and has been stable now for about half an hour with restarts.Iam going for a bite to eat now but I will leave it on.

With best regards,

Dave.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is great to hear. :)

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Hello rshaffer61,
Off to bed soon,computer still going OK.It is 10:30 pm here and so it has been running for about 4 hours.

With best regards and good night,

Dave

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks for the update and hopefully it will be running when you awake in the morning.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Sorry that I called you Hardrock in an earlier post.

I've been called worse... :)
I don't care what I'm called...as long as its not late for dinner.. :)

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Hello all my helpers;
Computer ran OK most of last evening and this morning and so I decided to put back the side panel. Well my wife and I spent about one hour taking it in turns to fit the thing with no result.We just can not figure out how to do it. It must be quick and easy if you just know how as these machines are mass produced in China and there is no way that they could afford such time and trouble.I think we will have to hold it in place using duct tape.
Decided to start up after manhandling it.All ok for about 2 minutes then mouse froze again.Power off then rebooted but got only to the point where I have to press the escape key to begin loading Windows.So power off and reboot.Same problem another 2 times but on third attempt all OK.Turned it off and went to have lunch.Just returned and all OK again, in fact writing this message on working machine.
This all seems like a poor connection.
I can only think of repair by replacement untill it is cured.

With best regards,

Dave.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What side panel if everything is outside of the case?
Poor connection where?

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Hello rshaffer61,
Everything is now back in the case and the side panel to which I am refering is the outer one that covers the side of the computer.I had to put everything back as with the mother board outside Windows would not load at all despite connecting up everything that you told me to.In fact I only got a message in white on black, something about Boot failure.
Poor connection-this - is just a guess of mine at what may be wrong.

With best regards,

Dave.