Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Freezing mouse(mice)

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok in there you will see something that says set boot priority or boot sequence. If not in there then try a different area. You will not be changing anything but the boot sequence so until you make this change there is no need to save anything before you exit.

Advertisements

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Hello rshaffer61
It now seem frozen on the BIOS screen because pressing the up/down arrow keys does nothing.If I press reset whilst in the BIOS area will it do any harm for I can see no other way out of this.

With best regards,

Dave.

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Hello rshaffer61,
I turned it off and back on and it loaded Windows OK.
I know that you believe that my hard drive is a Western Digital however I am still uncertain about this.I did say that I have an external back up device made by them. I have the "memtest" ready but I have one furthe question before using it.
Is there any way, short of removing it,to find out who is the manufacturer of the hard drive?

With best regards,

Dave.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
From post #48
Primary IDE master [ST32OO826A]
It looks like main drive is a seagate. I'm not sure where i got Western Digital from. Glad you caught that.

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Hello rshaffer61,
I am about to change the boot order so as to run the memtest.
Now this next question will show how little I know about my computer.The computer has on its front two drawers.The top one says DVD and the one below says DVD +/-RW R9. However the disc that I have made is a CD ROM.So which drawer to use, upper or lower?

Wuth best regards,

Dave.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Doesn't matter either one will work. You will just have to know which one you make the first bootable drive.

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Hello rshaffer61,
Got into the BIOS-there are the following,
MAIN
PRIMARY MASTER ST3200826A
PRIMARY SLAVE NOT DETECTED
SECONDARY MASTER LITE ON DVD
SECONDARY SLAVE NEC DVD RW

ADVANCED
CPU CONFIGURATION
CHIPSET
ONBOARD DEVICES CONFIGURATION
PCIPnP
USB CONFIGURATION
EVENT LOG CONFIGURATION

BOOT
BOOR SETTINGS
BOOT DEVICE PRIORITY (highlighted)
BOOT SETTING CONFIGURATION
SECURITY

Opposite on right hand side of the BOOT screen it says.Specifies BOOT device priority.A virtual floppy disc drive ( Floppy drice B )may appear when you set CD-ROM drive as first boot device.

Do I need Main,Advanced or Boot? There is fourth screen called Exit.

With best regards,

Dave.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
BOOT DEVICE PRIORITY (highlighted)

Set the lite on as primary boot.Save and exit. Make sure the disk is in the drive when you save and exit as it will reboot and start with the new settings.

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Hello rshaffer61,
OK did as you said and pressed F10 to save and exit .Sound of disc activity and computer loaded up Windows.
I did not move or select any thing but only pressed enter key as you indicated in you last post.In BIOS SETUP UTILITY SCREEN I see 5 headings.
MAIN ADVANCED POWER BOOT EXIT. I left out POWER AND EXIT from message number 202 as I did not think that they applied.I went to the BOOT page and there I saw a main heading in black saying BOOT SETTINGS (I put BOAR but this was a typo mistake).Underneath is,

BOOT DEVICE PRIORITY (this is highlghted by being in white)

BOOT SETTINGS CONFIGURATION

SECURITY.

I thought that by hitting enter, because you said in bold letters in your last post BOOT DEVICE PRIORITY (Highlighted),that I would be taken perhaps to another page where I would be able to select BOOT order.
Forget all of above I just did it again and Memtest started runnng.
What should I look for so as to be able to report back to you the information you require?

With best regards,

Dave.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Memtest needs to run for at 2 hours or a couple of passes. Now each pass will be like 6 tests I believe.
So let it run and let me know if you get any error messages.

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-2.11.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-2.11.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-2.11.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

Advertisements

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Hello rshaffer61,
Not even 1 complete pass yet and already at bottom of the "memtest" screen I see a block in red with 3 lines in white showing "Failing addresses" given.Have we hit on what has gone wrong or have I misinterpreted what I am seeing?

With best regards,

Dave.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope I think you may have found part of the problem.
Replacing the PSU earlier probably helped but the memory being bad would answer the OS and Driver problem.
Let it finish so that we can see how bad it is.

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Hello rshaffer61,
I take it that PSU stands for power supply unit.This has not been replaced.
Run time now 2 hours and seventen minutes and I can see 9 items under failing addrsses there might be more but I do not know how to scroll down to find out.Under the heading Pass it says 4 and Errors 1311.I will go and have dinner now and look again in about 2 hours.

With best regards,

Dave.

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Hello rshaffer61,
Just had a quick look before leaving it and I think it may have frozen during the test.
Top right hand corner box has in it Pass 85% and Test 32% and these figures have not changed for over 10 minutes.But top left in green box just after the word Memtest is a flashing red cross symbol.Nothing else on the screen is changing.

With best regards,

Dave.

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Hello rshaffer61,
I am certain that it as frozen as the Wall Time is stuck on 2 hours and 17 minutes.
What data would you like me to send to you from what I see on the screen?
How do I get out of this?
At bottom of the screen it says (ESC)Reeboot ©Con figuration (SP)Scroll lock (CR)Scroll unlock.

With best regards,

Dave.