Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Freezing mouse(mice)

• Please log in to reply

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Hello rschaffer61
I just sent reply to you about using a PS2 mouse however I have realized that I sent it as a reply to a posting by Hardrock on my problem,perhaps you can find it. If not then I will send it again.

With best regards,

Dave.

Advertisements

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Hello rschaffer61
Correction other helper should read Happrock.I must have been thinking about the cafe.

With best regards,

Dave.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I suggest following Happyrocks suggestion as this will tell us for sure.
When you do this plug in your USb mouse to test it. This way we can also determine that your mouse is working correctly.
Let us know the results.

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Hello rschaffer61,
I am a bit nervous about taking my computer appart but I think that with great care and patience plus followng the book which I got then I should be OK.I will take photos with my digicam at each stage.Also I will take anti static precautions. The book says handle motherboard by the edges.If computer runs OK in stripped down form then as Happyrock says this would tend to confirm the shorting out idea.But how am I then going to find out the point at which the short is occuring ?
When I look at the back of the computer there is on the left a metal plate with sound,USB,keyboard,PS2mouse,ethernet and other ports.If I gently push on this in each of it's 4 corners I findt that the bottom right corner flexes about 2mm whereas all 3 remaining corners are unmoveable.Could this be where the trouble lies?

With best regards,

Dave.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Once the board is out and confirmation that it works outside of the case we can then look at the possible reasons.
Shorting is limited to only a few possibility and they are easy to rectify.

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Hello rschaffer61
Removed side panel and after about half an hour of careful examination managed to find out how to remove the cowl that attaches to the fan. Main problem, it was black plastic attached to black plastic making it difficult to see even using torch/flashight.Taken photos made sketches and notes of what goes where and colors of respective cables.Looking at side of computer with front facing right I can see 4 PCBs which will have to be taken out to be able to unscrew the mother boerd How do they come out? Are they just pressed into place in the one black and three white slots mounted on the motherboard?
I have attached a photo.There are 4 metal plates attached to the chassis and each has the appropiate cut outs to allow the coresponding connectors and ports mounted on the respective boards access to the outside.I do not think that I will need to remove these.In fact at present I cannot work out how to do such a thing.You can just see these on the left of the photo.What do you think? I will have to stop work on the computer soon as it is dark here and working by the celing light and with torch/flashlght is a poor substitute for daylight.

With best regards,

Dave.

Attached Thumbnails

• COMPUTER_INSIDES_004_copy_W.jpg

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Each of those are a card that will need to be taken out. Looking at the pic and the left side you see the slot with the corresponding card in it. AT the top of that plate you will see a screw. Take it out and then gently pull the card out.
Note the position of the card and since you have this picture you have a great reference.

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Hello rschaffer61
There are no screws at the top of the plates.The plates attach to the chassis by having slot cut into them which engages a peg which is fixed to the chassis.I have wiggled the bottom plate up and down about 2mm each way and the card moves with it. So they are attached to each other.The pegs just serve to hold the plates ,with their attached cards,in one position.I think this form of assembly has been used to cut labour costs and to do away with the need to use screadrivers.
I will take some more pictures tomorrow by daylight and will send one to you to let you see.Going to bed now and so good night to you.

With best regards,

Dave.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you get me a clearer picture of the connector and also of the back of the system where the cards are?
Thank you for being so patient with this.

TheWhiteRose000

TheWhiteRose000

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
In the picture I noticed some cables were lose and screws werent even there.
D=

If that was a accident or I missed something you wrote.
I suggest fixing that.

8D

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I see the screws missing also and it does make me wonder. Those cards should just come out now with very little effort.

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Hello rschaffer61,
Attached is another photo which may help to clarify the method of locating the plates.At the rear of the computer the back panel has a portion of the metal about 4 inches vertical and about threequarters of an inch wide bent out at right angles.Four studs have been attached to this bent out piece.Each stud fits into the notch in each metal plate. There are no screws and every thing is a push fit.A hinged metal cover sits over the plates and it has 4 indents pressed into it,so that in the closed position there can be no movement.All of this arrangement is for ease of and speed of assembly by unskilled labour in China.Neary 1pm here and I am off to lunch.

With best regards,

Dave.

Attached Thumbnails

• COMPUTER_INSIDES_015_copy.jpg

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It looks like the little fins can be squeezed together and then the cards should be able to be released

TheWhiteRose000

TheWhiteRose000

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
It could just be a connector problem cause the screws arent in.
=/

And the card keeps moving around.
x-X

I wonder how many times its blue screened cause of a hardware problem.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This is true. Also Check the cards and make sure there is no dust built up in the connection to the motherboard.