Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Freezing mouse(mice)

• Please log in to reply

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Hello rschaffer61
Some of those cards had moved a little owing the the peg and slot fitting system being inferior to one using screws. There is no dust anywhere that I can see as I gave it a good blow out yesterday with a can of compressed air.I have now moved the cards so that each one sits correctly with each peg right in it's respective slot.Do you think that it might be worth putting back what little I have taken of(fan cowl and side of computer)to see if all is OK?
Obviously I do not want to remove the motherboard if this cures the problem especialy as I have no experience of such work.Cannot do much more for a bit as I have to go and collect my wife from the city

With best regards,

Dave

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I don't see how this may have caused the problem but i understand your thinking completely. If you would like to try and see if it has fixed the problem then by all means go ahead. you have not done that much disassembling that we can't get back to this point.
I still agree with Happyrock that this is a shorting problem but I want to do what makes you comfortable.

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Hello rschaffer61
OK I have got one of the printed circuit boards out but I am having trouble with next board.It has two plugs on it and I cannot disconect them.I even bent my thumbnail right back trying (painful).How do I do this using minimal force as I do not want to cause any damage?

I found freeing the boards very easy.Sorry to ask so many question and to go at this so slowly.

With best regards,

Dave.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What card is giving you problems?
Can you get a picture of the problem connection?

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Hello rschaffer61
I will sent close up photo soon. Ihave to go now and help prepare diner so it will be about 9pm England or 4 pm your time before I send them..

With best regards,

Dave.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem and I will check back sometime around then. :)

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Hello rschaffer61
Attached is photo of the troublemaker,as you can see I have managed to raise up the right hand end a fraction but gave up as I do not want to use too much force and end up breaking it.

With best regards,

Dave.

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
I think that I did not down size the photo enough so here it is.

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
And again

Attached Thumbnails

• CONNECTOR_BLOCK.jpg

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What is this card?

Advertisements

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Hello rschaffer61
On the back of the computer it says TV in.If I want to I can connect to a TV aerial and take in analog signals and they get converted to digial or I can take in digital directly and watch on the computer.I have never bothersd to use it as we have TV in the lounge.

With best regards,

Dave.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ahh a tv tuner card. I figured it is probably wedged in good then if it has been there for a long time.
As long as you don't grab the silver part and try to pull it out you should be ok. If you don't ever plan on using it I see no reason to put it back in the system. We may be able to uninstall some programs that are associated with it and then open more space on your drive.
Take a good look at it and make sure there is nothing else holding the card in place other then the same as the other cards.

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Hello rschaffer61
I will have to disconect it to remove the card, there is no other way to do it.

With best regards,

Dave.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you tell what the silver box is? I would hate to see you destroy the card even if it is not going to be put back in to the system.

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Hello rschaffer61
I do no know what the silver box does except to say that the TV plug in point emerges from it.I must undo these connectors so that I can pull to one side the thick cables that run to them otherwise taking out the motherboard will be impossible.

With best regards,

Dave.