Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Freezing mouse(mice)

• Please log in to reply

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Hello rschaffer61
Thank you for swift reply.
The motherboard is ASUS P5S800-VM/S
Will I have to connect the IDE tape type connectors to get Windows to load, as I thought it was on the hard drive and then it is loaded into the RAM on start up? Perhaps I have the wrong idea about how it all works

With best regards,

Dave.

Advertisements

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Hello rschaffer61
More questions,
My book says that Intel Pentium 4 compliant motherboards have an ATX12V connector and the book has a picture. I did see one of these and had to disconnect to remove the motherboard and so am I correct in thinking that this will also have to be plugged in as well as the P1? Also to connect the monitor I will have to put back the card with the right type of connector. The monitor is a flat screen LCD type made by Samsung.

With best regards,

Dave.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I think I have the picture of your motherboard.
You may have to right click on the image if it doesn't open enough for you to see it clearly and save it to your desktop. Then open it with Paint.
This will allow you to use the zoom feature on it to see things.

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Hello rschaffer61
Looks like it to me.The top of the picture is at the back of the computer and the left side is then of course the base.Can you please point out to me the power & reset button connection also position of the case speaker which you mentioned.

With best regards,

Dave.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK looking at the pic this is where everyuthing is at..
left bottom corner is where the speaker and the power switch will connect
bottom middle the white connection is the power connection from the power supply.
top is where the video connection is for the monitor

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Hello rschaffer61
Thank you for your reply pointing out connection positions.
Tomorrow morning I have to go to the city again but should have some free time in the afternoon when I get back.It is 10 pm here and so I am quitting for tonight so I can try to relax a bit before going to bed.
Sorry to ask so many questions but I know so little about these things.

With best regards & good night,

Dave.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No reason to apologize. This is what we do. Assist and teach. If you can walk away with a fixed system and learn something then we have had a great topic. :)

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Hell0 rschaffer61,
After 2 day break doing many things I can get back to the task in hand. I know where every thing goes from having put labels on but I just don't know what the various bits do and so I have some questions.
Are speaker and power switch rolled into one or there 2 seperate connectors?
My monitor connected to a DVI port mounted on the top card of the 4 cards that I have removed.Is it OK to put this card back to be able to send data to the monitor?
Do I need to reconnect the ATX12V connector? My book says that all Pentium 4 compliant mother boards come fitted with this (I did find one on mine and did have to disconnect it to remove the mother board).
Do I need to reconnect the IDE ribbon cables?
I have got the motherboard on top of an upturned card board box at present so as to elevate it to a point where all of the cables will reach.However I think that when I come to push home various connections this might bend the mother board and cause damage as the box underneath might itself bend wth top force applied.
I could pile up some books and put a piece of card board ontop of them but then there wil be a firm surface under the mother board and I am nervous about damaging the underneath of the mother board.What do you think would be best?

With best regards,

Dave.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Speaker and power are separate connections but they will go in the same location as i described above.
If your motherboard does not have a built on video then yes you would need to use the card with the connection. ATX12V will probably need to be connected also.
IDE ribbons do not need to be connected as we are testing only the motherboard and not the drives.
Can you flatten the cardboard box and that should give you the safety of the box and the separation from any possible short.
I understand some connections may be difficult but the are needed to test the board correctly.
With some care you should be able to make all the connections safely.

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Hello rschaffer61,
I am still a bit unsure about speaker and power.Are you saying that just plugging in the connection that goes into the bottom left hand corner of the motherboard (as shown in the photo which you sent to me) will connect up both the speaker and power, i.e. both functions are built into the same connection?
The mother board has I think built in video but my monitor cable type will only allow me to connect with the output on the graphics card.
I am going to cut a square of card board and sit the mother board on top. If cables do not reach then I will slide big books (coffee table type) underneath until they do.

With best regards,

Dave

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
There is a double set of pins on the bottom left of the picture. There is where the power, led, hdd led, speaker all connect. They fit on a certain set of those pins and should be marked on the motherboard which is which. If not then the motherboard manual will have the layout for you.
The video card is fine to use since that is the only way you can get video.

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Hello rschaffer61
Well after a great struggle everything is connected up.Main problem has been that the cables are to short.So I have had to prop the mother board up on 4 thick books with a piece of cardboard on top then I slid the mother board forward the computer case which is now back in the vertical position.Only then could I push in the power connector. Using a flashlight I have had a good look around to ensure that nothing is touching the case or anything else.I plugged in the power lead and a green LED came on.
I suppose the monitor must be turned on and the power button the front of the computer case must be pushed in but what am Isupposed to see happen?

With best regards,

Dave.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hopefully if everything works the mouse should work with no problem. You might connect the hard drive to see if it goes into windows. Forgot the mouse issue is inside of windows.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hopefully if everything works the mouse should work with no problem. You might connect the hard drive to see if it goes into windows. Forgot the mouse issue is inside of windows.

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Hello rschaffer61
Thanks for reply. You say if everything works but how will I know that?
What will I see on the screen?

With best regards,

Dave.