Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Freezing mouse(mice)

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What we are looking for is if the mouse freezes still this way..By having the least amount of things attached tot he motherboard as possible we are testing the motherboard to see if the problem is with it.
When you start the system it will be as if the motherboard was inside the system but we're taking out the posibility there is a short between the motherboard and the case.

Advertisements

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Hello rschaffer61
I understand the idea of running the mother board ouside the case but unless the IDE cable is plugged in then I will never be able to check the mouse.The problem all along has been freezing at various stages right from the momment the computer is turned on to the point when Windows has loaded along with all of the other progammes that load on sart up.Sometimes it would run for minutes,hours or for a whole day but eventually it would freze the sympton being that the mouse would freeze usually at the screen centre.Obviously the feeze ups occured when the mother board shorted out on to the case.
Should I now start up the computer and the monitor?

With best regards,

Dave.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you connect the ide as I instructed in post # 118?
I forgot about the issue only happens in windows so you will need the hard drive to be connected and make sure there is power going to it. Then yes monitor and system turned on

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Hello rschaffer61
Midnight approaches here so I will have to come back to this tomorrow afternoon as then 3pm England will be 10am in Memphis.
I also have a problem in that I have 2 IDE cables and I am unsure which one to connect.

With best regards,

Dave.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You would connect the one going to your hard drive and it would go to the connector on the motherboard marked IDE0
I will be here in the morning so not a problem.

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Hello rschaffer61,
I have identified the ribbon cable going to the hard drive and can see that it will only fit one way round What does the other IDE cable do?
I will have to plug the mouse into a USB port on the front of the machine because there is no room with mother board in its present position, nor will I be able to plug in the keyboard.

With best regards,

Dave.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The other IDE cable most likely goes to your DVD\cDrom drive
Is you Mouse and Keyboard USB?
Can you get a pic of the setup as it sits right now?

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Helo rschaffer61
Here is photo.
Mouse USB or PS2,I have both types available.
Keyboard is PS2 type but I do have a PS2 to USB converter.
My post earlier this afternoon seems to have vanished down some sort of electronic black hole.

With best regards,

Dave.

Attached Thumbnails

• setup.jpg

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK the reason I aksed is because the front USB probably will not work since you unhooked everything from the motherboard. So you will have to connect everything to the motherboard to work properly.

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Hello scaffer61,
I am suspending operations for today because on studying my set up I have thought of a much better spatial arragement.I am going to turn the computer on its side again and I am going to bridge the opening with a piece of plywood.This will be stiff enough to withstand any down force when connectig the IDE cable and it will be easier to plug all the connectors in without having the cables at full stretch.Also It will enable the keyboard and mouse to be plugged into the mother board.I will of course put a piece of soft cardboard on top of the plywood.So it's off to the timber yard tomorrow morning.

With best regards,

Dave.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK no problem and let me know when you are ready to resume. :)

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Hello rschaffer61
Is it OK to run a PC type computer on its side.I am wonderng if the hard drive will work or if it could be damaged by being in such a position.

With best regards,

Dave.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope it should be ok. I do it all the time when I'm checking fans while system is running. You just never want to handle a hard drive while it is spinning as this could cause the disk to become damaged.

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Hello rschaffer61,
At last after a day of domestic duties I am back at it. My idea of putting the case on its side and spanning the opening with a piece of plywood has worked.I glued 2 layers of card board on top of the ply to act as a buffer as ply is quite hard.It was a close run thing once again as cables are just not long enough for this kind of thing.I've had to elevate the mother board bottom left because the metal plate on the graphics card kept pushing the card up at one end.Also the IDE and P1 multi power conector block took quite a bit of pushing to get them seated.I will now list what I have done to see if I have got every thing,
Computer main power supply plugged in and switched on at wall power outlet point,
Keyboard PS2 plugged in,
Mouse PS2 type plugged in,
Small Pentium 4 power connector plugged in,
IDE ribbon cable plugged in,
P1 multi power connector in place,
Computer start/ reset plug is connected,
Monitor connected and turned on at wall power outlet.

I think I have got it all set up to go.
Would you like photo of set up? I do not think it shows any thing different to my last photo except this time I have been able to plug in Key board and the PS2 mouse.

With best regards,

Dave.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope now you just need to start it and see if the mouse freezes now since everything is outside of the case. Good luck and I will await your results. Run the system for at least a hour to see if the issue returns. If it doens't then I think we may finally be able to figure this out.
BTW great job with all the tearing down and getting everything reconnected. :) :) :) :)