Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Restoring missing Services in WinXP Home

• Please log in to reply

Basty

Basty

• PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
I can't to clone my HDD because some services are missing.
I know that SOME services can be restored by running a suitable reg file.
Where can I get the reg files for the following services :
1. MS Software Shadow Copy Provider
2. COM+ System Application
3. COM+ Event System
4. System Event Notification.

How else could these services be restored ?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Cloning the hard drive (that Windows is running on) can't be done from within Windows so the services that aren't running are irrelevant.
You can only do this outside Windows, typically you boot off your Ghost CD with two hard drives connected and clone it from there.

Basty

Basty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
With drives that do not fail like the one I am asking about, the installed program, Casper5, WILL clone to a slave a Master HDD that is running WinXP. (It will even clone to an external HDD through USB !)

Basty

Basty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
However, having failed to get those services restored to enable Casper to operate, I did as suggested, and cloned SUCCESSFULLY from Symantec's Ghost. THANK YOU SO MUCH YOU REMINDING ME OF THIS OPTION - WHICH I THOUGHT HAD BECOME OBSOLETE !

Basty

Basty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
P.S. I actually used Ghost ON A FLOPPY to achieve this !

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
If you play around with the right software (google search) you can make a bootable CD for ghost. I use both floppy and CD.
Also Easeus ToDo backup will clone a drive from within windows. I use it for partition backup, but the best partition/ clone method is from outside windows that way there are no services and programs running.