Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

REALLY need to know my motherboard model

• Please log in to reply

severedsolo

severedsolo

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi, ok here's the deal, i want to flash my BIOS off of the OEM one provided (with half the options locked out) to the ECS one, the problem, is, when i use things such as Everest, or Belarc i get told its a Packard Bell BV MCP73VT-PM or Denver 10 which is basically Packard Bell's name for it, i know its an ECS board, and i am fairly sure i know which one it is... but was wondering if i could get some advice from you guys to check they are in fact the same Mobo

Denver 10 specs: http://support.packa...pn=PT.U050Y.016

ECS board i am fairly certain it is: http://www.ecs.com.t.../...=44&LanID=0

any help would be really appreciated

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Please be advised flashing the BIOS in this fashion is dangerous and not guaranteed. It also doesn't guarantee to add any more BIOS options either.
Also note your system comes with pre-installed Recovery Partition which will probably not work any longer since it will be tied to the BIOS with a Packard Bell "tag" (for want of a better word) in order to work, and so if you do need to recover at a later date, there will be no "Press F10/F11" option.

On top of that you may also get prompted to reactivate Windows, since the current licence is tied to the details in the BIOS that you'll wipe out and you may also find if you require service on the machine while it's in warranty (such as a new board), it may not be covered since it may look the same, but when PB restore the system disks, they won't work for reasons I've already explained.

In any case the date of the BIOS on the ECS site is older than the one on the PB site, and many boards don't support downgrading of the BIOS.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
Just because it is an ECS board, that does not mean it is a standard ECS board. PC makers typically modify their boards, and the BIOS, making them proprietary. Use the BIOS from PB.

severedsolo

severedsolo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
ok i will bear that in mind thank you, i think my best bet for now will be to just leave it, i dont really want to break my pc

Edited by severedsolo, 13 November 2009 - 05:51 PM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

i think my best bet for now will be to just leave it, i dont really want to break my pc

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."