Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Browsers freezing up

• Please log in to reply

mike9999

mike9999

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
All of my browsers are freezing up on me. Firefox, Opera IE7, and Google Chrome freeze up for no apparent reason. Sometimes it takes 20 minutes of surfing, sometimes only 2 or 3 minutes. When it freezes up, I can move my mouse pointer, but cannot push any buttons. The little hour glass icon on the pointer stops moving. It does not seem to happen while loading a page. It can happen while sitting idle.

I have no problems running any other non-web based software.

It seems the problem started shortly after syncing with my cell phone. I have an HTC with Windows 6.1 mobile on Sprint. The phone started freezing up and I took it in to be serviced, and it works fine now. The tech said he upgraded the software.

Advertisements

Guest_bartblaze_*

Guest_bartblaze_*

You can use TFC, it will clear your temp files, also be sure to save any unsaved work.
http://www.geekstogo...er-file187.html

If that was no good, try this:
Shut down your computer again, and unplug your router (and possibly a modem, if you have one)

Wait a minute or so.
(Power up the modem first, wait for all the lights to turn on.) << if you have a modem, obviously
Now power up the router, and again, wait for all the lights.
Power on the computer.

Check if the problem still persists.

mike9999

mike9999

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Thanks for the quick response. I cleared temp files. I have to go to work now. I will test tonight (6pm EST-US).

Thanks.

mike9999

mike9999

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
So far, so good. I've been on about half an hour, with about 20 tabs open and no problems. I had a feeling there was a bad file in there somewhere. That Windows Mobile has been nothing but problems. Want to buy a phone? Haha.

Thank you very much!

Guest_bartblaze_*

Guest_bartblaze_*
No problem and have fun :) .

mike9999

mike9999

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Dude,

I'm still having a problem. Checked the modem - OK. Called the cable company (ISP), everything fine.

I left the browser window open overnight and the screen saver froze. I restarted it, and it froze after about 3 minutes of surfing. Now, I've been going for about 20 minutes.

Guest_bartblaze_*

Guest_bartblaze_*
Hi, do you still have these problems ?

mike9999

mike9999

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Yes. It is really weird. One time when it happened, I got a constant, steady "beep" from inside the computer box. It was like it was caught in a loop, or something. Another time, there was a constant "ticking" sound coming from the monitor.

Perhaps, I need an Exorcist? :)

I've run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Super anti-spyware, along with my resident McAfee scan, and I got this from Malwarebytes:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Would you like a "hijack this" log?

Guest_bartblaze_*

Guest_bartblaze_*
Hi, the beep would be normal, as your browsers are freezing.

Try this:

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands click on Start.... Run..... type in...CMD ....press enter....to open a command prompt box

to Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults...type in ... netsh winsock reset catalog .... press ...enter

to Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults...type in...... netsh int ip reset reset.log ... press ...enter

If that does not work, you might want to post a log, yes .

Please do so here:
http://www.geekstogo...emoval-f37.html

Be sure to read this first:
http://www.geekstogo...uide-t2852.html

Good luck :)