Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Itunes - Damaged Library File

• Please log in to reply

My GigaHertz

My GigaHertz

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
:)
Recently, as in the past couple of weeks, whenever I start iTunes, the following happens:
1. A small window opens saying it is "Importing iTunes Library.xml" This goes on for what seems like an eternity, followed by:
2. The iTunes Library file does not appear to be valid. The old file is saved as iTunes Library Damaged.itl

Here is what I've tried so far:
a. Completely uninstalled ALL itunes / Apple / quicktime components, restarted, then reinstalled
b. Moved xml file to the desktop, trashed the .itl files, re-open itunes and reimported the playlist (xml file)
c. I have repeated step two with and without restarting iTunes.

The uninstall, reinstall worked last night. I shut down itunes and restarted it several times with no difficulty. I shut down the computer overnight. On reboot this AM, same story as before: "reimporting xml file" etc etc...

4. I called iTunes technical support. They said to do what I did in a) above. When I told them I had already done that, they had NO suggestions. Can you believe that? When pressed, the tech guy said it was "probably a windows problem." By that, he was implying that he didn't want to, or didn't know how to help me.

So I ask my fellow Geeks: any bright ideas?

Thanks!
GHz

Advertisements

Guest_bartblaze_*

Guest_bartblaze_*
Have you read the following article ?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1451

If that does not work: try the following:

Uninstall it again, and all applications related to iTunes.

Then start TFC temp cleaner, be sure to save any open/unsaved work.
http://www.geekstogo...er-file187.html

Then try to re-install iTunes.

If that is of no luck, just reply :) .

Edited by bartblaze, 14 November 2009 - 07:26 AM.

My GigaHertz

My GigaHertz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I have done the first thing you suggested already.

Can you tell me more about the TFC temp cleaner application before I install and run it?

Guest_bartblaze_*

Guest_bartblaze_*

TFC (Temp File Cleaner) will clear out all temp folders for all user accounts (temp, IE temp, java, FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari), including Administrator, All Users, LocalService, NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder. It also cleans out the %systemroot%\temp folder and checks for .tmp files in the %systemdrive% root folder, %systemroot%, and the system32 folder (both 32bit and 64bit on 64bit OSs). It shows the amount removed for each location found (in bytes) and the total removed (in MB). Before running it will stop Explorer and all other running apps. When finished, if a reboot is required the user must reboot to finish clearing any in-use temp files.

TFC only cleans temp folders. TFC will not clean URL history, prefetch, or cookies. Depending on how often someone cleans their temp folders, their system hardware, and how many accounts are present, it can take anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or more. TFC will completely clear all temp files where other temp file cleaners may fail. TFC requires a reboot immediately after running. Be sure to save any unsaved work before running TFC.

My GigaHertz

My GigaHertz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
OK, did everything you suggested.
It doesn't work.

More details: After I re-load my itunes playlists, iTunes works fine. I can open and close it without causing a "damaged iTunes library." However, if I turn off my computer, or re-start it, then try to open iTunes, I get the "damaged iTunes library" message again.

Any more suggestions?

Guest_bartblaze_*

Guest_bartblaze_*
Hi, I found this on the net, I think it might work :) .

Go into My Documents/My Music. Now go into the iTunes folder. Rename your iTunes Library.itl as iTunes Library.itl.old. Go into the Previous iTunes Libraries folder (which would be in MyDocuments\MyMusic\Previous iTunes Libraries). Take the newest file (for me this was iTunes Library 2006-09-14.itl) and copy it back up to the iTunes folder. Rename it iTunes Library.itl. Run iTunes 6 and you should be all set, with your library restored.

source: http://wiki.answers....rsion_of_iTunes

My GigaHertz

My GigaHertz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Tried it. Didn't work.
Got the following error message after trying it with several different archived iTunes library files, while iTunes was "updating" my library:
"iTunes has encountered a problem and needs to close."
When you re-open itunes, the library file is damaged again.

Thank you for trying to help me. I really appreciate it. This is quite frustrating.
Any other ideas?

My GigaHertz

My GigaHertz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
More information:
I have downgraded to iTunes 8 (from iTunes 9) - same problem.
I have run two virus scan programs - clean

The problem seems to occur primarily after restarts. Once I get iTunes up and running, libraries re-imported, no problem.

Something must be happening to the .itl file during shutdown / restarts.

In this forum from 2007, user stevek99 really has an identical problem.
http://discussions.a...t...=0&tstart=0

Sadly, that thread ends in frustration.
Anyone out there solved this problem?
GHz

My GigaHertz

My GigaHertz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
OK, been doing some more digging.
Although I can't recall the exact date, I did install a new external hard drive recently (BlackArmor Seagate 1TB). Don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Also, been digging further on the Apple website.
Here's what I've found.
http://discussions.a...t...07&tstart=0

Particularly interesting was this part:

"I have had this problem for EVER and have finally found the fix.
First I'd like to thank the people you answered this question originally - it helped me find my variation of problem.

I'm using XP and Itunes. I removed the /3Gig switch from my Boot.ini.

Fixed. All fixed. No worries."

The only problem is, I'm not sure what that means. It sure sounds good, though.

Any thoughts?

My GigaHertz

My GigaHertz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Apparently this is a difficult problem with no straightforward answer. The people over at Apple are of no help.

I have uninstalled my webcam (someone said that was the culprit for them) and turned off the disk-monitoring / backup service associated with my external backup drive.

Same problems.

Beginning to wonder if this is a firewall or AV problem.

BTW - I keep responding to my own posts, hoping someone can read through my progress, or lack thereof, and lend me a hand.

GHz

Guest_bartblaze_*

Guest_bartblaze_*
Hi, as you said in your previous post, are you using a switch for your network ?

Also, is an older/previous version of iTunes working properly ?

My GigaHertz

My GigaHertz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Not sure exactly what you mean by "switch" on my network. I haven't changed anything in the boot.ini yet.

And no, older versions of iTunes cause the same problem. I have tried iTunes 7, 8 and 9.

Guest_bartblaze_*

Guest_bartblaze_*

Not sure exactly what you mean by "switch" on my network. I haven't changed anything in the boot.ini yet.

And no, older versions of iTunes cause the same problem. I have tried iTunes 7, 8 and 9.

A network switch is a computer networking device that connects network segments.

Source: http://en.wikipedia..../Network_switch

As you said in one of your posts, it helped with one of the persons.
Are you using a switch ?

If you have no clue what the boot.ini does, please do not adapt any changes as they could damage your computer.

Also, I think I don't have any suggestions anymore, I'm afraid... I hope Apple will fix this soon .

My GigaHertz

My GigaHertz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
So I think I solved the problem.

As I said before, I had narrowed the problem down to "something" affecting my iTunes library.itl file during startup.

I used this utility called "Process monitor," which can be found at www.sysinternals.com

Link: http://technet.micro...s/bb896645.aspx

I used the boot-log feature (under the options menu) and pinpointed that my carbonite off-site backup routine was accessing my iTunes library.itl file during startup. Why? I have no idea.

I simply told carbonite to stop backing up my iTunes Library.itl file, and that was all it took.

Problem solved.

Now if I want to have my library file backed up, all I need to do is copy it to another folder on my computer and carbonite will find it and store a remote copy.

I've been able to successfully launch iTunes after rebooting several times in a row now, so I feel confident that I've found the problem.

Hope this helps others out there who may have similar problems!

GHz

Guest_bartblaze_*

Guest_bartblaze_*
Ah, I see. Great that you were able to solve the problem :) .