Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with DVDs crashing

• Please log in to reply

averysadman

averysadman

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
I recently bought a new laptop computer, and used it a lot as a portable DVD player, due to me having an extensive DVD collection.
Without warning, after maybe two weeks of having the laptop, and being able to watch DVDs perfectly, it started to crash after maybe 15 minutes into the film. It did this with any DVD i tried to watch. (although game DVDs still worked fine)
I downloaded and even bought many different DVD reading programs (such as VLC media player and Home Power Cinema) but no matter which program or DVD i use, it always stops in the same place. This has led me to believe it is a hardware problem as opposed to a software problem.
If anyone can help me find a solution i would be very gratefull.
Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

after maybe two weeks of having the laptop

Return it.

mgabriel

mgabriel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Since you bought the laptop recently, it should be under warrenty. If I was you I would return it. It does sound like hardware issues. Back up all your stuff on a flash drive before returning it.

averysadman

averysadman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
Thanks for the advice, but is there no way for me to simply replace the DVD drive? It would be very difficult for me to transfer all of my information onto an external hard drive. I have over 250Gb of data. And buying a 250gb hard drive would be expensive. If i return the laptop, can i ask them to replace the DVD drive, but kep the hard drive?

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Here is the thing.
If your almost new laptop doesn't work properly now, who knows, what to expect in the future.
You don't want to run into more problems, when your warranty expires.
Thus, you better let them check it thoroughly NOW.

mgabriel

mgabriel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
The DVD Drive can be replace but there could be more problems with your computer. Computer crashes can be a simple issue or it can be a major issue. How big is you hard drive? if its 250 GB and you have 250 GB of stuff on there then there is a problem.