Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Zorin OS versus Windows Vista

• Please log in to reply

BlackHalo

BlackHalo

• PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
Hi,

I've been experiencing repeatedly serious virus issues over the past few months and quite frankly I'm getting tired of formatting, scanning, preventing, installing, uninstalling and trying to disinfect.

I'd like to know how Zorin OS matches up to Vista not only in the performance category, but also with regards to safety, stability, reliability, etc. I have Vista Home Premium 64bit at the moment.

Note: I should mention that I have 64bit Vista because I have 4gb DDR3 RAM, so that's also a factor I need to consider with Zorin

Thanks

Edited by BlackHalo, 14 November 2009 - 09:41 AM.

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
not much to consider, but if you are new to linux I would suggest a linux that is complete in itself, that is, that it doesn't need any after-install, like the pure distros then, ie, one just installs it straight off and everything like codexes, mp3 playing, and the like work without having to go through hoops of permissions

try "Mint linux" then, it is complete from start, complete even from the "live CD" test, so if you boot up onto it from the CD liking what you see, then just install it, as unlike windows one knows what one gets even before the install, amazing when you think of the missing driver problem after installing windows, btw "word" and "excel" compatibility through "openoffice", "firefox" for the browser, etc,

also, if you've been running Visa, the linux speed will amaze you too, also you'll have four screens as standard, lots of eye candy such a floppy windows, the four screen cube, etc., and everything free, oh, and another reason I like linux is that the mac address behind the IP address is a clone, meaning that unlike windows, with its reporting to the update center your license number each time, under linux you really are anonymous without that WGA sillyness, nor the EULA reminiscent of Mephistopheles proposition to Faust

the only detraction I see is the lack of games but that is hardly a problem since, for the price of the window's license, officeworks, and yearly protection, one could buy a PS3 for that money

Edited by fleamailman, 14 November 2009 - 10:29 AM.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
I just gave the Live 64 bit version of Zorin OS a spin on my laptop. Very nice implementation of GNOME. It's very pleasing to the eyes and looks like everything you would need is there including Wine. Compiz is enabled from the go and works well on my toshiba satellite pro. I took a look at the repositories and they are the Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (9.04) so anything you might not have should be available and stable.

I have Linux Mint 7 64 bit loaded on my laptop and like it more than any other *buntu I've tried. Basically it has the same core as Zorin OS and either should do alright for you.

BlackHalo

BlackHalo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

the only detraction I see is the lack of games but that is hardly a problem since, for the price of the window's license, officeworks, and yearly protection, one could buy a PS3 for that money

Unfortunately in South Africa that doesn't count as all electronics are sickeningly over-priced...But it is definitely something I have to consider. I'm not a HUGE gamer, but I enjoy the occasional bashup here and there when I get the time.

You'll have to excuse my ignorance, but I've been a Windows user all my life, never even tried Linux before. SO with things such as media playback (I've been using K-lite Codec pack, Winamp, VLC), drivers (such as graphics cards, etc) and stuff like directX, are these all compatible with Linux installations? And most importantly: would I be able to run Adobe CS4 on Zorin without problems?

BlackHalo

BlackHalo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
OK, have run Zorin Live and so far I'm very impressed with the speed and some of the customisability of it all. I am however not impressed with the whole look and feel of it...It may be because I'm a born-and-raised Windows user (recently switched to Windows 7), but the way things look when run through Wine is a bit of a turnoff for me (very superficial of me...I know). How does the Mint interface and look-and-feel compare to Zorin (especially when running through a Windows emulator such as Wine)? Also, would I be able to install things such as PhysX and my Nvidia drivers on Mint without a problem? Again, please excuse my ignorance...

BlackHalo

BlackHalo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
Also tried Mint and I must say: that left a much better impression than Zorin! Although it's a bit harder to navigate for an ex Windows user, it just looks well put together and professional (unlike the rougher edges and pixelation of Zorin, especially with the loading screen, I mean come on!). I've only spent about 5 minutes in Mint, but will give it a proper spin later today. The deal breaker will be how it handles Adobe CS4 though...

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Won't do CS4. Adobe doesn't think it's worth the trouble to make a Linux version.

BlackHalo

BlackHalo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
Sigh, unfortunately that is the dealbreaker as I'm a graphic designer and as such do all my work in Adobe and related programs...thanks for the info anyhow, appreciated!