Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Aion, any good?

• Please log in to reply

vittorio

vittorio

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
hello everyone, I've been looking at this game for a while now. Pretty much going through MMO withdrawls over here, since the only internet I have is at work. The game looks pretty promising, but I'm wondering if its worth it. After playing five years of Final Fantasy XI, I found that the game was consuming my life, and soul. So I switched to WoW for more of a casual play. Now that two of my characters are near maxed I'm wondering if it would be a waste of time to start over in Aion. I like the mechanics of Final Fantasy XI more than any other MMO, but i like the relaxed play of WoW. Any input would be helpful. Thanks all.

Advertisements

Iconicmoronic

Iconicmoronic

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
From what I hear, Aion isn't that good. It is largely a PvP game as the word is going, and there are no dungeons or instances in the game. Only territory wars. I myself haven't tried it, because I heard those two points and lost interest. There are alternative MMO's though. Dungeons and Dragons Online is now on a free to play system where you don't need to make any purchases to pursue the entire game, although you can buy what they call turbine points to make the game more accessible faster. It's of course based on D&D, 3.5 I think. There is also Runes of Magic, which I've been playing a little here and there. From what I gander it is a lot like WoW except there are no character specs. There is a dual class system though as well as instances/dungeons and there is PvP. Warhammer is another alternative if you've never played it. I just started looking into it and know even less about it than I do the rest of the games. I made the switch because I got tired of WoW's stupid chat and lack of a chat policy to keep it in check. Anyway, good luck!

snowchick7669

snowchick7669

• PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
To be honest I wanted Aion to be good so that I had an excuse to stop playing WoW, but unfortunately it was a waste of money for me. As much as the reviews state it's nothing like WoW and the PVP is amazing, it really lacks in all aspects when compared to Blizzard's life ruining game :). In saying that, I did prefer the style of graphics over the cartoony ones in WoW.

I'd say, stick with WoW and see what the future holds because as far as I'm concerned I wasted a good $70-$80 of my money on that game plus the subscription. And then I just came crawling back to WoW anyway so it was rather pointless.

Guild wars 2 is just over the horizon!

hterez

hterez

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Click here to find anything u need for Aion.

whydie

whydie

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

It is largely a PvP game as the word is going, and there are no dungeons or instances in the game. Only territory wars.

This is not true. There are instances in Aion, maybe about 30 of them!! Although you cannot enter the first instance until lvl 25. Alot of the game is PvE, as you get to higher levels there is indeed alot of PvP. You are pretty free to choose whether you want to focus on PvP or PvE. Although even doing PvE you will get 'ganked'. This means players of the other race will come and hunt you down. Presently I've only reached lvl 43 out of the max 50. After lvl 40, leveling takes awhile and is done mostly in groups in instances. You cannot level your character by doing PvP because PvP gives you abyss points, which can be used to buy gear which makes your toon especially good at PvP. Another big feature of the PvP is fortress raids which are cool, although there can be so many people you have to turn down the graphics or else lag alot. Overall it's a pretty fun game, I played WOW also and I think it's alot like WOW. Although perhaps my favorite thing about Aion is that you have wings and can fly. Also I should tell you that you cannot fly in every map area, although flying is still an awesome addition for an mmo. An unfortunate thing is that Aion has problems with gold sellers, bots, and accounts getting hacked.

Vittoro- MMOs do tend to demand alot of playing-time in order to get far in the game. IMHO, there are worse things one could do with ones time, but I find if I play the MMO too much then I might neglect other important things to do.
If you want to see what mmorpgs are available and coming out soon, check out:
mmorpg.com
and click on the game list tab.