Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MSN works perfectly, along with other web software, just can't sur

• Please log in to reply

Vista_H8r

Vista_H8r

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ok, here is what is happening.

MSN Messenger (Latest Version), Trend Micro Antivirus 2009 and cmd prompt "ping" can all access the internet and work perfectly.
However, whenever I load a internet browser (IE8, Firefox, Safari 4, Google chrome) none of them can access the internet. I do not use proxies or anything of the such so it is not that.

I am running:
Windows Vista x64 Ultimate and accessing the internet via a plain old ADSL modem with no networks or domains.
I am using a HP Pavilion DV9700 Series laptop

In safari i get an error when it loads the page
"Safari can't open the page [url="http://www.google.com""]http://www.google.com"[/url] the error is "unknown error" (kCFErrorDomainWinsock:10054)"

All my internet applications were working perfectly yesterday, computer shut down as per normal, started up as per normal.

I have run the windowsFixIt patch '50203' and '50199' with no success.

I have shutdown, reboot and gotten rid of all the static out of my machine but none of this has helped.

My laptop must have an IP address, the modem must be working, and my settings must be working, otherwise how is MSN able to sign me and and allow me to chat, webcam and call friends and Trendmicro is able to download the latest patches.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Justin

Advertisements