Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Hard Disk Not Found

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi and thanks for your time,
My mate sent his Packard Bell Imedia M224 (Intel Celeron D 340, 256 DDR RAM, 80gb 7200RPM Hard Disk Drive, DVD+R9,Integrated SIS 651 3D/2D Graphics, Integrated Audio AC '97, Microsoft Windows XP) away to be fixed by Harvey Norman and they basically said they couldnt do a thing about the pc so they just wiped the drive/disk clean(including all previously installed drivers and windows had been removed).
I go to try and set-up windows xp fresh using the windows setup disk and it states that it cannot find the hard disk or its corrupt, or requires a special device driver.
The Drive details are as follows:
Hitachi-LG Data Storage

On the Drive the Master/Slave Selector is set to Cable Selector as it originally came as.

I have no idea what to do next, When it boots it recognises it as Secondary Master (Channel 1: Primary Master)but doesnt actually recognise the SATA Drive in the Primary or Secondary slot :S
Any help would be greatly appreciated to get this pc up and running again.

Edited by azza1993, 14 November 2009 - 09:16 PM.

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Just a shot in the dark here but they wiped the computer and gave it back WOW that is bad business. Anyway, look in the bios settings...I do not know what MB it has but the bios may be set to default with SATA disables. Also SATA devices are one per cable so there is no slave/master issues, boot depends on the active win partition.
with more details of the system i could give you better advice.

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,302 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go.

You have some confusing information here.
You mention that it does not see the sata drive yet you mention jumpers? Sata drives can not be configured as a master/slave (so no jumpers).
The DVD writer (Hitachi-LG Data Storage MODEL: GSA-4163B(NIA0) is an ide drive (it has jumpers).

You give no mention of the hard drive.
How many physical hard drives do you have?
What is the make and model of the hard drive?
Is the hard drive a SATA drive?

If the hard drive is a SATA drive, you need to install SATA drivers using the F6 key during the XP install.
SATA drivers come on the motherboard driver disk.

Also, I would consider taking it back to the store. If they couldn't get it going (for whatever reason) they should not have wiped it out.

Out of curiosity...What was the initial problem?

• 34,114 posts
FYI I just found out that Seagate 500 gig HD does have a jumper to tell the drive it is using SATA 1.5 and not 3.0
It may be on others also so we may need to reword that somewhat 123Runner in the future. :)