Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Multiple problems? Virus or hardware failure?

• Please log in to reply

nmd90

nmd90

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi

At the moment everything seems to be going wrong with my computers!
I have a Packard Bell desktop which is getting a little old now, but recently got a virus or something on it which encrypted all my files and told me to buy their decrypter if I wanted to get any of my files back. Luckily I also have a Dell laptop which is the computer I mainly use so I had all of my important files on there. So I decided to do a destructive recovery of the desktop computer. Since then it was working fine.

Only a few weeks later my laptop started freezing for no apparent reason. It is now at the point where it lasts for about a maximum of 10minutes without freezing. Originally I thought it might be overheating, but now i've suspect the motherboard or something inside isn't working properly or it has a virus or something. It also has been very picky about whether or not it wants to accecpt usbs. I tried saving my files to usb and it would work for a little bit but then stop transferring and I would have to pull it out. Gradually I was able to transfer most of my files back over to the desktop so I would have a second copy.

This was working fine until the other day the desktop started freezes whenever I plug in a usb. Although, if I plug in the printer usb cable, it is fine. I have attempted to do system restores for both computers but it comes up with this message 'Changes made to drive(s) E:\ C:\ after this point cannot be reversed because the drive was either excluded from system restore monitoring or was turned off or removed'. Also, now my laptop keeps coming up with 'usb not recognised' if I plug in a usb

Both of the computers have norton antivirus on them and I have run multiple other virus scanners all of which have detected nothing! I think its a bit odd that both of the computer have almost identical symptoms so maybe one has infected the other whilst i've been transferring files?

Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance :)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It would seem the most sensible course of action is to have your system looked at by a trained professional in malware removal.
I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum. If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
Since you were moving files back and forth, you could have very well infected both of them.
Go to the malware forum as instructed.
Return here (if needed) after a clean bill of health.

I would also suggest a USB external hard drive for backing up your files.

123runner