Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can't access website--not set up to connect on port

• Please log in to reply

jeffmc

jeffmc

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have been battling this issue all day, hopefully someone has the answer. I have tried to access one particular website--was able to earlier today, then suddenly was no longer able. I have no problem with the internet or accessing any other site--just this one. First, I received a "oops--that link apperas to be broken" page. I searched for solutions, tried many and finally ended up uninstalling google toolbar.

When I then tried to access the site, I get "Internet Explorer cannot display the page". I clicked on the"'diagnose connection problems", and get "the website is not set up for connection on port world wide web service with this computer". So, more searching and more things tried.

Here are things I tried, none have worked. Cleared cache/temporary internet files, cleared cookies, went to command prompt and flushed dns, uninstalled google toolbar, uninstalled Norton Anti Virus, disabled protector mode in IE, turned off windows firewall, ran registry scan/cleaner, restarted router, and probably a few others I can't remember off the top of my head.

I have tried to access this site through my desktop icon/link, as well as through various browsers, no luck. Really need to get in, this site has my email and a lot of important things for business.

I have windows vista, and am using cable dsl/wireless. All help appreciated, this is beyond frustrating!

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
...and the link is?

jeffmc

jeffmc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
www.busyagentpro.com--website is fine, I actually chatted with the site's administrator and he had no trouble logging in and confirmed there were no server issues in their end

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
It opens here with Firefox and IE, no problem.
Did you try Firefox to see, if it's sole IE issue on your computer?

jeffmc

jeffmc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have tried it with firefox and ggogle, no luck. Wondering if the issue lies with my ISP--I have comcast contacting me to look into it further.

Any ideas? I have tried just about everything you can find from surfing the web, but nothing works.

jeffmc

jeffmc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
looks like it is my ISP--I plugged in directly to the modem, and I can access the site. Unplugged it, can't. I will talk to comcast about this, just curious what happened/why?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

I plugged in directly to the modem

...and before, what was the setting? router to modem?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I just had Comcast at my house Saturday and even though my issue was not the same they replaced my router.
The tech that arrived said even though the router was only 3 years old it was out of date. He put a new router on and my speed not only went up but I am also able to stay stable with my connection. it might be something to ask them when they arrive.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Ron
Did you mean router, or modem?
I didn't know, Comcast would replace router for you?

jeffmc

jeffmc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Just wanted to update--I FINALLY figured this thing out-at least it is back working now.

Hopefully this will save someone all the aggravation and frustration I enjoyed the last few days.

Basically the issue was with the router. I ended up changing the MAC address.
Here is the link to the page that helped me, hopwfully this will be of use to somebody:

http://www.overclock...sys-router.html

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Nice. Thanks for posting back :)

n95

n95

• Pip
  • 1 posts

www.busyagentpro.com--website is fine, I actually chatted with the site's administrator and he had no trouble logging in and confirmed there were no server issues in their end

dear friend this is just temporary way i found.i had the same problem i couldnt access any website so wat i did ws just went to control panel>user account>make a new account and when i used that account i could access all the websites from the new user account..

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Ron
Did you mean router, or modem?
I didn't know, Comcast would replace router for you?

Yes router as it is their equipment. They replaced it with no problem and no my connection does not drop every morning.
I have 5 systems online in my house with the capability of putting another 6 because I actually have a business class Internet service through Comcast.