Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Increasing Ram virtual memory optimization

• Please log in to reply

squonk

squonk

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
So I am having some difficulties with my pc. Specifically when I am playing online MMORPGS. They take quite a bit of space on virtual memory and on *commit charge*. I have never reached my maximum limit but my pc lags, kicks me offline, causes me to restart quite often. This is mostly due to the fact that I also have Norton running which is killing the amount of space required to run the game properly.

I have been able to limit the amount of processes running to allows windows to maximize the amount of free ram, virtual memory, etc but still it isn't enough to be a great help.

My next challenge was to find a way to increase virtual memory. I currently run Windows XP and instead of actually allocating how much virtual memory was in my system, I decided to allow windows to determine when to increase the size of the virtual memory. *I haven't attempted to play the game like this yet because the commit charge is still the exact same as it was prior to changing this process*

I found a website http://www.petri.co....ptimization.htm that explains how to make ram more efficient but I am unsure if this will cause this pc to crash, reinstall an operating system, etc. I don't want to do something that is harmful to my pc or something that I can't fix rather easily.

I run Windows XP, I changed the virtual memory setting to allow windows to set it. What I want to know is how to allocate more commit charge and for the pc to actually use the memory in the commit charge setting and or the virtual memory capability of the machine.

The max amount of commit charge that I use is around 980,000 out of a total of 1276856. CPU usage when I get above 700,000 says it is at 100%. I can max my pc useage by using windows media maker so I know in some situations it will actually use every single bit of commit charge but I can't seem to make it do it when playing an online MMO. The lag is severe to the point where I can't even enjoy the games properly.

I have a fast enough system to meet the requirements I run a 2 ghz and I seem to have plenty of memory but it just never actually gets used.

Please keep topic open as my mother uses this pc I will be able to respond within a 24 hour period.

Thank you all so much for any and all of your help.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
Hi squonk and welcome to Geeks to Go.

Virtual memory errors and freezing are related to a few things such as amount of memory, size of hard disk, programs running in the background, etc.
We need to take a look at a few thinks first.

Download and install Free Everest Home Edition
Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.
Click the + by computer, click on Sensor. Get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages...

DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"

Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:
1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to know location.
7: Attach to your next reply.

Take a screen shot of the performance tab of task manager.
Attach to your reply.

123runner

squonk

squonk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Sorry it took so long to reply.

Motherboard:
CPU Type AMD Athlon 64, 2000 MHz (10 x 200) 3200+
Motherboard Name Unknown
Motherboard Chipset VIA K8M800/K8N800, AMD Hammer
System Memory 512 MB (PC2700 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type Award Modular (12/07/05)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (Microsoft Corporation) (128 MB)
3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
Monitor Dell P991 [19" CRT] (8376T0B240PC)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller

Storage:
IDE Controller VIA Bus Master IDE Controller
SCSI/RAID Controller VIA SATA RAID Controller
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive Maxtor 6Y200P0 (200 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/133)
Disk Drive Generic USB SD Reader USB Device
Disk Drive Generic USB MS Reader USB Device
Disk Drive Generic USB SM Reader USB Device
Disk Drive Generic USB CF Reader USB Device
Disk Drive TigerJet HardDisk USB Device (15 MB, USB)
Optical Drive HP DVD Writer 300c (DVD:4x/2.4x/8x, CD:16x/10x/40x DVD+RW)
Optical Drive SAMSUNG CD-ROM SC-148A (48x CD-ROM)
Optical Drive TigerJet CD-ROM USB Device
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 189900 MB (97316 MB free)
H: (FAT32) 4561 MB (25 MB free)
Total Size 189.9 GB (95.1 GB free)

Input:
Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse Microsoft USB Wheel Mouse Optical

Network:
Network Adapter VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter
Modem Lucent Win Modem #2

Peripherals:
Printer HP DeskJet 882C
USB1 Controller VIA VT83C572 PCI-USB Controller
USB2 Controller VIA USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller
USB Device Microsoft USB Wheel Mouse Optical
USB Device USB Audio Device
USB Device USB Composite Device
USB Device USB Human Interface Device
USB Device USB Mass Storage Device
USB Device USB Mass Storage Device

Problems & Suggestions:
Problem Disk free space is only 1% on drive H:.

I'm unable to do a screen shot I'm sorry

Field Value
Sensor Properties
Sensor Type ITE IT8712F (ISA 290h)

Temperatures
Motherboard 37 °C (99 °F)
CPU 32 °C (90 °F)
Aux 35 °C (95 °F)
Maxtor 6Y200P0 29 °C (84 °F)

Cooling Fans
CPU 4963 RPM
Chassis 2109 RPM

Voltage Values
CPU Core 1.50 V
+2.5 V 2.59 V
+3.3 V 3.34 V
+5 V 4.27 V
+12 V 12.48 V
+5 V Standby 4.81 V

Finally you asked for a screen shot of my performance task bar.

I won't meet the requirements of the space allocated by the message and it had to be saved in excel.

What I will do for you is simply tell you what I see.

CPU Usage 0%
PF USAGE 438MB *mostly the internet explorer causing this to be this big.* Before I run any MMORPG I can take the PF Usage to around 330 -300MB without magic jack running.

Handles 11,387
threads 571
*processes says 43 at the moment I usually run it at 40-38*

PHysical Memory
total 523760
available 145024
cache 239884

commit charge (K)
total 450812
limit 1276856
Peak 508612 *peak changes when I run a MMO it has run as high as 986000* I think that's about accurate.

Kernel Memory
total 134928
paged 111004
nonpaged 23924

If I drag the windows task manager with the processes tab open from left to right the CPU usage can jump as high as 75% but it averages at around 45% or so. *all the way from 0%*

Allowing Windows to use the virtual memory did help but didn't solve the problem entirely. It could be that I am just using the bare essentials when trying to play the MMO with my current setup.

basic requirements
CPU RAM VGA Direct-X
AMD/Intel Single Core 2.0GHz 512 MB 128 MB 3D graphics card 9.0c

Recommended Requirements
CPU RAM VGA Direct-X
Intel P4 3.0GHZ
or
AMD Athalon X2 5000+ 1 GB 256 MB 3D graphics card 9.0c

In the actual game I have minimized the graphics to near nothing so that I avoid any high tech features in the game which would cause the recommended requirements to be used for an extended period of time. I was able to play for quite awhile and I didn't seem to get as much lag by changing the windows to allocate how much virtual memory goes but I'd still like to be able to get more commit charge if at all possible that way I know for a fact that my pc will run faster, smoother, and won't be lagging when things get a little hectic. I think when commit charge is above 65% or so of the total amount lag becomes severe but keeping it at a relatively low amount at like 40-50% seems to truly help as long as virtual memory is there.

Please take note, I don't need virtual memory or have freezing which causes the pc to restart or take long times to load. Everything I use this pc for, runs really well 99% of the time. Once in awhile a webpage may take awhile or opening a new excel spreadsheet without looking over the processes tab in task manager to make sure everything is off. *sometimes firefox for example doesn't close but you think it did.*

Anyway, it's only when playing an online MMO. I have no trouble going into documents, opening various programs, viewing websites or videos, etc.

Attached Files

Edited by squonk, 16 November 2009 - 09:44 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

System Memory 512 MB (PC2700 DDR SDRAM)

Here's the problem
Increasing virtual memory will only be a temporary fix but will work.

squonk

squonk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
So the only way is to add more ram?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
To fix the problem correctly yes. You can fix it for now by dowing the following.

Go to Start then to Control Panel
Click on System then click on Advanced tab.
In the Performance Field click on Settings
Now on the Advanced Tab click on Change
Now take a screenshot and include it in your next reply.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

Also I am including the memory instructions for your information later.

Go to HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system. You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

squonk

squonk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I tried to explain last time that I can't use print screen and paste it in paint because PAINT doesn't exist on my pc. I had to use excel last time and I'm not even sure if you're going to be able to see it in excel. Any other ideas?

I've reconfigured the advance tab. I can tell you exactly what it says and what you're looking for.

I set it for system managed size. I actually don't remember the numbers it was at prior to that.

Recommended says 766 mbs and 767 is currently allocated.

I'm pretty sure it used to read

768 in the size and 1152 in max size but I said I changed it to allow windows to deal with it rather than make it 768 and 2304. I mean I could do that and it might help but I don't think this is why I encounter lag. I seem to encounter lag because of commit charge not necessarily because of paging files although maybe they're intertwined.

Also I want to know how to make a process stop from running while I am playing a game. I don't know how to do it exactly.

I'm pretty sure the component for the process is from my anti virus *norton* *I'm sorry this is my mom's pc*

Anyway, this process is called CCSVCHST.EXE there are actually 2 of these components running in the processes tree and to give you an idea of how much space they take up...

I'm currently running at 399 mbs *firefox is contributing to 102,000 memory useage and 88,800 virtual memory useage.

These 2 programs are 4,268 memory and 23,284 virtual the other is 960 memory and 9,500 virtual.

When I run an online MMO one them can go as high as *the highest I've seen*

40,000 memory and over 195,000 virtual memory as well as instead of firefox the game runs at like 500,000+ virtual memory and 80-150,000 memory.

All of these are kilobytes. PF Useage gets to over 980 mbs.

If I was able to de-activate those 2 processes prior to running the game the game would only get to like 700 mbs through the PF useage the problem is I can't figure out how to get rid of that process. I also don't know the ramifications if I take that process out. I would obviously still be connected to the net but it's not like I'd be downloading through an open port or visiting a website during that time. The other problem is what if an e-mail came through?

Any and all suggestions are totally welcome into solving this issue. Thank you so much for helping me thus far.

Take your time there are others who need you much more than me :). I'll be around but I'm not in a life or death situation either.

Edited by squonk, 16 November 2009 - 01:56 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem all I need is the information for the minimum and max set limits.
If they are not both at 768 then change them to that.
This should help with virtual memory problem. Now if the amounts are higher then the 768 please do not change them as you are set as high as you can. If thatis the case then the only other way is to increase your ram memory.
123Runner can post the instruction on downloading and running TFC and Auslogics Defrag
Run them in that order and it should help clear out your temp files and get your system in order. This should help with the speed alittle and clear up some cache memory for you.

squonk

squonk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I'm not having trouble with speed. My PC runs fine, my internet runs fine, opening programs runs fine. The only problem I have is when using the online MMORPGs. They take up a massive amount of ram to play but I also have the CCSVCHST.EXE from norton which goes haywire when playing. Limiting the .exe from norton or disabling it would greatly help me but also increasing *commit charge* would also greatly increase my output.

I also don't use max set and limited set limits, I have set it to windows to increase the ram output.

http://www.geekstogo...ry-t120268.html if you read these previous instructions given in this thread, this is what my pc is currently at. The setting I am currently using.

Now it might not be possible to increase commit charge without actually adding ram which is why my topic was kind of vague in which way to go to make the game run as smooth as possible.

If there is a way to increase commit charge by increasing the size then I would rather go in that direction first.

If I can't do the commit charge *increasing the number size given when I press alt cntrl dlt* is it possible to walk me through on how to disable the CCSVCHST.EXE from norton anti virus?

Again thank you for taking the time to help me :). Mucho Appreciated!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
First of all I would uninstall Nortons as it is a known resource hog. This in turn will cause memory usage to go up and slow your system down. It can also cause the issue you are having.
a great alternative is to use one of the free AV programs like Avira or Avast
By replacing Norton's you will not have the issue with the ccsvchst.exe
The best resolution is to increase your memory to 1 gig as I suggested and then you will not have any issue with virtual memory

I suggest reading the following article, especially the "Committed Memory" section.
Pushing the Limits of Windows: Virtual Memory

Advertisements

squonk

squonk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Ah we may be onto something.

So I read the posting that you let me see and he said exactly what's happening but I'm not sure how to make it larger. Did I misread something?

I can't replace Norton not an option on this PC. This is my mom's pc and she feels safe under norton after paying her yearly fee. For some reason people can't be talked out of things and she's one stubborn woman.

"You can stress the commit limit by running Testlimit with the -m switch, which directs it to allocate committed memory. "

So should I run this program along with the game to allow testlimit or whatever to give me more committed memory?

"How Big Should I Make the Paging File?

Perhaps one of the most commonly asked questions related to virtual memory is, how big should I make the paging file? There’s no end of ridiculous advice out on the web and in the newsstand magazines that cover Windows, and even Microsoft has published misleading recommendations. Almost all the suggestions are based on multiplying RAM size by some factor, with common values being 1.2, 1.5 and 2. Now that you understand the role that the paging file plays in defining a system’s commit limit and how processes contribute to the commit charge, you’re well positioned to see how useless such formulas truly are.

Since the commit limit sets an upper bound on how much private and pagefile-backed virtual memory can be allocated concurrently by running processes, the only way to reasonably size the paging file is to know the maximum total commit charge for the programs you like to have running at the same time. If the commit limit is smaller than that number, your programs won’t be able to allocate the virtual memory they want and will fail to run properly.

So how do you know how much commit charge your workloads require? "

So when I get to there right I'm following him because even when I clicked on system set memory for the advanced tab in the system folder, it doesn't allocate enough ram *nor did it prior to coming here*

For example my pc currently says 767 mbs but when I crashed in the game I was just playing, the pc was running at

833,896kbs which is like 834 mbs. So should I assume that if I set my guidelines to read

1.0 gb which is 1,000 mbs to allocate paging files, virtual memory, etc and leave the max setting at like 1.8 gigs then I'd be alright? Or since I don't actually have enough ram to truly meet that expectation maybe I'm misreading something?

Like if I was to say pc allow 1.0 gigs of virtual memory to be used along with physical memory it would totally stop the crashes but could it harm my pc or to some extreme crash the pc?

If it was to crash the pc couldn't I just go back in and reset the values again?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What you are attempting to do is to force the system to do something it would not normally do. This can cause unstable results and even cause more crashing. The virtual memory and ram memory has a certain limit it can be stretched to. The rule of thumb is that virtual memory is equal to 1.5 times the amount of actual memory. You can see why having 1 gig would increase the virtual memory to 1500 virtual memory total.
In the end this is what you need to do.
have you gone to crucial and ran the online scanner?
Does it give you the max amount of memory along with what type of memory?
It also should give you the correct configuration the motherboard would have.
Memory is not that expensive anymore depending on the type.
Why not fix the problem correctly instead of trying to force the system?

squonk

squonk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
^^^So I increased it and played and I've reached a new top peak which I never did before which is really cool. I haven't solved the lag and this is due to how much memory is available to be used. It's causing the CPU useage to climb higher but the virtual memory problem solved :). *I never even had the opportunity to watch it before so this is definitely the issue*

So now that my commit charge has enough adequate space to hold back the program any idea without having to purchase anything on how to add more Physical memory?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
What you are doing is forcing the system to do something it is not normally meant to do.
You need to add more ram to fix it correctly.
I suspect that you will eventually see issues in other areas.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
There is no way to add more memory without purchasing more memory.
If oyu run the crucial online scanner and let us know the readings we can find the price of memory for you. Just to give you a example depending on the type of memory you could buy 2 gig of memory for 55.00 USD plus shipping