Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Increasing Ram virtual memory optimization

• Please log in to reply

squonk

squonk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

What you are doing is forcing the system to do something it is not normally meant to do.
You need to add more ram to fix it correctly.
I suspect that you will eventually see issues in other areas.

The guideline that the previous poster gave me as a resource as to what is happening actually says to determine your paging file and not listen to some ridiculous standard given out by magazines, windows, microsoft, etc. So that 1.5x he laughs at and I quote that from the guide you sent me.

Clearly the guide says to watch your peak and set it above that because the allowed amount of space is the space going to be used but when applications go above the amount selected and not the amount actually there it will cause crashes.

Now I was able to in the past actually make my commit charge run full speed and use every single bit of before just not via the game. I saw absolutely no harm in doing that because I was making a video via windows movie maker. Using 50% of the space given to me doesn't make sense especially when most of it never gets used it just sits there idly standing by. Increasing it has allowed me to get to use it and hit a new peak which is still smaller than the peak the system has.

What I wasn't able to do is get past the available *physical memory* which is much different and that actually requires more ram which is what I was afraid of.

If only norton wasn't taking up over 30,000+ physical memory.

Is there a way to turn norton off without uninstalling it? So that I can get CCSVCHST.EXE to stop running and taking up the available memory left so that the game can run smoother? Press alt cntrl dlt and going into processes and trying to shut it down from there doesn't seem to work.

Edited by squonk, 17 November 2009 - 05:16 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You could try disabling it but short of uninstalling it there is no other way.

squonk

squonk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Do you know how I could go about disabling that component? Will there be errors when that component is shut down?

Edited by squonk, 18 November 2009 - 01:11 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Bottom right of your desktop screen. There should be a icon for Nortons
Right click on it and there should be a option for disable or pause.
Please understand that this means there will be no AV protection during this time so connecting to the internet should not happen.

squonk

squonk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I wish it was that simple part of the reason why I started this topic.

When right clicking norton, I have the option of opening, change notification options, and show norton status in system tray.

If I click show norton status in the system tray, this option will then change to show norton in the task bar.

If I click change notification options only 2 options pop up. One is unchecked and the other allows me to see that norton is in fact running it doesn't disable anything.

The last option is to open up the Norton program.

Problem is I can't see to be able to shut it down. There's no *option* to shut it down.

Now you said I shouldn't be connected to the internet but isn't it possible that if I keep the firewall active and not visit websites or download programs *which I wouldn't be doing* that the only possible way to get something is to get hacked or have something bypass the firewall? As in all I want to do is be able to de-activate most of the physical memory that norton takes up only while playing the game. When I close the game, I would obviously re-enable norton.

I imagine that you don't use norton and would have to see some of the options and settings to see how to disable it... Problem is norton seems to be filled with all of these options and turning them all off doesn't come with 1 click and I'm a little afraid of posting all of the screen shots that it would take to show you every single option given. Little bit hesitant about it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope I don't use nortons. To much of a resource hog. I use Avast.
I dropped all pay programs almost a year ago since I learned the free alternatives are as good if not better.
You are correct to a point baout not going to websites or downloading anything. You can set Nortons not to start in your msconfig file. Then you would have to start it manually.

squonk

squonk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Problem solved lock it up!!! Thank you soo much!!!

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Its great you got it taken care of.
What did you do to finish it up?

youserbase

youserbase

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Virtual memory errors and freezing are related to a few things such as amount of memory, size of hard disk, programs running in the background, etc.
We need to take a look at a few thinks first.

squonk

squonk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
The ways I made it work to be suitable to run the game smoother *still not perfect because it does lag but that's mainly because as I watch the performance the available memory goes from like 70 megabytes all the way down to 1 meg of physical memory* The difference is now that I can make the CCSVCHST.EXE disappear while playing is it frees up more physical memory to allow me to give me those 70 megs before it was at 40 megs so when I would hit those spikes in graphics or changing environments or seeing people in game the available memory was able to handle it a lot better than before.

I came into this thread knowing the peak performance of the virtual memory and after reading the website that was given to me, I changed my virtual limit setting to a higher limit. This is allowing the virtual memory to actually use the memory rather than crash the program at the peaks.

For example, when the game first starts up I was able to view that it runs at like 756 megs of virtual memory but I only have a 512 megabyte ram. The original setting was 1.5x 512 which is like 768 something like that so I was already right at the limit that was set and during the peaks the game would freeze up because it goes from 756 all the way to 980 megs. By increasing the size to 1.1 gb which gives more than enough space to allow the peaks to happen the virtual memory does go back down but it also doesn't freeze the program causing me to be kicked. Of course, if the virtual memory can't handle the peak it will still close the program which is why when I originally did it the amount of physical space wasn't enough. So now that I have taken away Norton's utility and leaving the firewall in tact, the amount Norton takes up is around 30 megs lower and close to 70-90 megs lower in virtual.

Like I said, you can lock it. The game is running near perfect and if I had more ram I know for a fact during those crazy peak times I'd have more available physical memory to deal with that jump. I've played for roughly 8-10 hours doing it this way and it's awesome :). Thank you so much for the help and support!!!

I also haven't seen that little icon saying *you need to increase virtual memory which would happen once every hour or so while playing* Of course after seeing that windows doesn't allocate more memory.

I was able to play for over 5 hours without the game crashing 1 time. That's a miracle considering I have been playing this same MMORPG since May and I've probably put in over 800 hours or so. So I definitely am able to say these simple changes allow me to do something I've never done before.

As the website says though, just because you put the virtual memory setting to 10x as high or whatever doesn't mean the ram will support it. It will eventually run out of virtual memory if you have too many programs running but in my case I'm only running 32 processes and 30 of them are via windows and 2 of them are via the game. So the chance of me hitting the peak of virtual memory is impossible but the available physical memory is still biting me in the butt. When I have a stronger pc set up *which I will have eventually* I will be able to see a closer gap of what the peak is for this game at the moment I'm truly unable to determine what the true peak of the physical memory is. It fluctuates to near nothing and as time passes it gets through the amount of physical memory on this pc eventually causing me to be kicked from server and or just outright closing the program.

Advertisements