Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Used reload/backup cd and pc will not boot up...

• Please log in to reply

lowra muser

lowra muser

• PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Hi Folks,

This is my first technical post, I am not familiar with regards hardware configurations and bios, so if anyone is kind enough to help or can help, please go easy on me ... many thanks.

Problem

• PC = Pentium 2 (or equivalent) with windows XP originally loaded onto it
  • I have used a "TINY Reload/Backup CD Verion 1 (8.3)" to wipe my pc ready to give to a friend for his son.
  • It will not boot up now, it stops at "Verifying DMI Pool Data...... Boot from ATAPI CD-ROM: Failure... "

Gut instincts
  • The Reload/Backup CD Version 1 (8.3) could be from the first tiny computer we had purchased the year before (we had two in total), as on the execution of said disk it said windows 98 in small letters in top left hand corner of screen? Though I'm no expert I wonder if the older pc (scrapped long ago) had the older windows system on it?
  • I may have needed to use an accompanying floppy disk, which I did not use or have? As at the end of system restore using aforementioned tiny disk it said "Please remove CD/floppy disk and press any key to reboot" now this could have meant either/or, or both?? Again I'm not an expert but thought this may help? Apologies if it doesn't.

So as I mentioned I used a TINY reload/backup CD to wipe my pc ready to give to a friend, for his young son to use, with the intention of resetting to factory standards, I think this may have been a grave mistake as I have just ready some horrible posts re: tiny/time pc's (this pc is 8 yrs old).

Any help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Craig :)

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi lowra muser...welcome to Geeks To Go... :)
are you sure this is correct...

Pentium 2 (or equivalent) with windows XP originally loaded onto it

can you give us a make and model number...

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Hi, yes the pc has got a windows for xp home edition cert of authenticity sticker on the side...

the make is TINY, the model no.70040TMK04T4 (tiny 0001-500-70040)

Hope this helps

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I'm afraid thats not going to help...
I found this ...

Ailing UK computer retailer Tiny has been bought out by arch-rival Time Computers...

this was back in 30 January, 2002... more here
can you get into the bios and see how much ram is installed and any hardware info...
without a original restore cd..you may have to wipe the drive using DBAN and install linux on it

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
I have been here before in locating info on a Tiny computer. There is no info available.

If it had XP on it, it will probably run it.
The problem is that you will not find the required drivers. I already tried on another post.

Wipe it and put linux on it as suggested.

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Ok chaps, my friend has taken the PC now, but I will look at DBAN and suggest he installs linux. Many thanks :)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Please let us know how he makes out?

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Yes, I definitely will :)

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Hi,

I promised that I would let you all know what went on with the PC... Well, the PC has now been passed to a third party as my friends son (the intended recipient) is getting a brand new lap top for Christmas now! But, I have been told that the computer is now up and running, but with what operating system I do not know? Apologies for the seemingly pointless post, at least from a technical-resolution-point-of-view, but I promised to respond, so I have...

All the Best everyone... and Happy Christmas :)