Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 x64 Problem - Black Screen after closing 3D accelerated prog

• Please log in to reply

Gaming4JC

Gaming4JC

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hello All,
I recently upgraded my BSODing no good Vista Home Premium x64 to Windows 7 Home Premium x64 after receiving it from the upgrade option program. Well, it's been working a lot better than Windows Vista --but! All 3D applications (Games,3D modeling, etc.) using either OpenGL or DirectX regardless of Windowed or Full Screen cause a black screen if the game is closed. I have installed the latest firmware for my ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 from the official ATI site which supposedly would fix some bugs in Windows 7, but alas the problem persists.

Once a program has been closed, the screen becomes black and I loose control of the computer. Even Ctrl+Alt+Delete refuses to work, resulting in an unclean shutdown (Me hitting the power button) in order to unlock it.

So, does anyone else have this problem or have some suggestions on how to fix/troubleshoot the issue?
Keep in mind:
a.This has never happened on Vista
b. A similar problem occurred on Ubuntu but was resolved via the new ATI firmware.

This may mean I should file a bug report with ATI, but if others are having this issue with nvidia we may have a Windows 7 issue here. LMK, thanks! :)

Advertisements

Gaming4JC

Gaming4JC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I received help from a tech in spain. The problem was due to not properly installed ATI firmware/drivers. I had not fully uninstalled the old drivers from my Windows Vista installation, and they were not properly configured when I upgraded to Windows 7 and installed the new firmware RIGHT OVERTOP the old firmware! :)

So for anyone have this problem:
1. Uninstall ALL of your ATI drivers/firmware including the install manager and catylst control panel.
1a. Run CCleaner after uninstall to pickup traces.
2. Reboot.
2a. Install the new firmware from the site for your model and OS:
http://support.amd.c...ages/index.aspx

3. Reboot.
3a. Play your 3d games and apps without fear of black screen crash!

I'll keep testing a few more days to see if that's the extent of this story, but so far so good! :)