Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

toshiba satellite M50-MX 5 xpsp2 audio/video prob on Youtube....

• Please log in to reply

newbie geek

newbie geek

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Hi I suddenly have a problem viewing you tube. I get slo - motion in audio and video. Also static and slo-mo in Windows audio log on.
I have checked Device Manager and codecs and Realtek audio show as working OK.
I have played saved youtube files and they play fine.
I have played a CD and it is ok.
I have played a DVD and its audio and video is fine.
I use Kaspersky and Prevxx Edge for a few years now and rest of notebook is performing OK.
Just this new issue?
I am no tech and hope that someone here might be able to help out.
Thank you.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Download Process Explorer: http://technet.micro...s/bb896653.aspx
Unzip ProcessExplorer.zip, and double click on procexp.exe to run the program.
Click on View > Select Colunms.
In addition to already pre-selected options, make sure, the Command Line is selected, and press OK.
Go File>Save As, and save the report as Procexp.txt.
Attach the file to your next reply.

Important! Create PE log, when playing any uTube video.

newbie geek

newbie geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
I hope that this information is helpful in my pursuit of a solution. I have found a common thread between my issue and that which my neighbor now has as well. I just found this out last night.
At the request of a sibling who was affected by the aftermath of Hurricane Ida on the East coast, I was told that I could view the damage from their TV broadcast site in North Carolina. They only use a keyboard and it is Web TV (Phillips). I don't know much about the unit they use except they tell me it is not a computer. I went to the site and viewed some video right after they called me as it is on their TV station. The video appeared to be taken from a helicopter and had little audio but mostly video of the areas damaged.
My neighbor who also has family at Virginia Beach also viewed that site after I gave the "www." to him and he is also encountering identical problems as me with You Tube audio/video in slow mo, the Windows jingle audio staticky and sounding like a 'hoarse throat' and in slow motion audio and the keys on the keyboard that normally make a sound are now making a 'crunching' sound or like that of a "cymbal" instrument.
The site which I don't want members to click on and get a problem, lets say is http://some_site.com.
My neighbor and I both viewed this site almost simultaneously and now have the identical issue as described above.
I have used my Outlook, IE, burned CD's, DVD's, did a M$ word document and all is normal except for this sound issue.
I use Kaspersky and Prevxx Edge and have for years and had no problems.
When I go into Device Manager...'Sound Game Controllers', everything indicates operating OK. All have listings under Properties including 'Legacy' Audio (my notebook is a toshiba M 50-MX 5 xpsp2), however under 'Realtek' multimedia audio there is nothing listed under its 'Properties'. Is this normal?
I am wondering if something got corrupted there by this site viewing?
I should say also that when I watched this I hooked up my external A/C powered speakers as the audio was so poor. BTW, I don't have a restore point.
I indeed hope to resolve this issue and not have to go to a tech. I called my sibling and they don't know about computers and said their web tv is viewing this broadcast fine with no 'glitches', mind you they don't use the unit that much like a regular computer.
Thank you for your time and interest.
(I am not a techie)
I just went back into 'Sound Game Controllers' and there now is properties listed for 'Realtek' and I find that Realtek is the Default audio. When I go into the Sounds in the CP...it shows 'asterisk'.....etc. (should this key with asterisk on it make a sound when pressed as it does not?)I have again tried a You tube different one and still same issue. I hooked up a microphone and did a test to hear the sound of my voice and it is slow, garbled and hoarse???? Just thought that I would add this.

Edited by newbie geek, 16 November 2009 - 01:06 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Are you saying, that CD, DVD and Windows sounds are affected as well?

newbie geek

newbie geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
No cd and dvd sounds are fine. I even burned one of each and played them back and played store bought ones as well as ones that I have converted from VHS and everything is OK.
I have been into the CP and Master Volume and under "Sounds" and muted 'wav' amd went back to a you tube and of course there was no sound, simply a 'slow motion' video. I went back and unchecked the mute in Sounds and I am back to weird keyboard sounds again as occurred before. It is like the 'default' somewhere is???
I also did an sfc scannow and nothing showed up?
Thx again for ongoing interest.
BTW "Realtek" is the default audio.
My speakers are working fine 'Harmon Kardon' on the toshiba and as well are my headphones that I am listening through.
I just can't figure this out b/c my neighbor is having the same issue after viewing the video from that news site. He is non techie and is not interested in a challenge and is leaving it for me to figure out.
This is my latest update as I am trying to figure out why slow motion video and garbled audio simultaneously in youtube...whose sound of couse is affected when I mute 'wav' but am not sure where the video 'slo motion' comes from. Is there a commonality between 'wav' and a 'video' setting for Youtube and Windows sounds?
My volume control is on in my task bar. No mute.
I am simply puzzled.
I would think that a CD and a DVD would not play properly as well but they do?

I have to add that it is everything on the internet that I try to playback that is garbled audio wise and video is slow motion. I just tried a local staion and as well an instruction site that was a video and it was the same???????

Edited by newbie geek, 16 November 2009 - 03:34 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Try to uninstall Flash, using this: http://kb2.adobe.com...1/tn_14157.html
Install fresh copy.

newbie geek

newbie geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
I tried that following all of the instructions and the issues still exist.
I did a 'Run' of dx diag and under Sound:
1. MS Sound Synthesizer OK
2. Realtek AC 97 Audio.....bad and scratchy...staticky
3.GS Wavetable SW Syn. (emulated).........Bad and scratchy and staticky as well

I was not sure what all of the other info meant...'port' etc.

The System has 1014 RAM and page file 488 MB used and 2,433 available.

I did not know where to look for video i.e. 'slow motion' problem in this information.

I phoned my high speed provider to see if the issue existed there as there is no problem with my CD/DVD playback and they were unable to help. They saw the slow motion video on several and the scratch audio.
I am beside myself here. I don't know where to really look to find the 'commonality between the video and audio distortion for internet.

My Directtx 9.0c (4 09.0000.0904)

I keep hoping for a solution here.
Sfc scannow showed up nothing? and I really don't understand 'dxdiag'.
Thank you for your interest.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
See, if other sites behave same way. Play some video from here: http://www.cbs.com/
What browser/version do you use?
Did you try another browser?

newbie geek

newbie geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Tried videos from Link and same thing, slow motion video and sound like "monster slow motion audio voices"... this is with both IE 7 and Mozilla Firefox.
I have unistalled reinstalled Flash.

I forgot when I did the 'dxdiag' that
1. MS MIDI Mapper was scratchy and staticky
2. GS Wavetable SW Synthesizer (emulated) scratchy and staticky
3. MS Synthesizer was the only one that Music played sounded great
4. Realtek AC 97 Audio was scratchy and staticky

Master Volume is not on high and never has been changed.
System is 1014 RAM and page file is 488 mb and 2,433 mb available.

My keys make a different sound than the Windows Default sound on this Toshiba notebook now e.g. when I need to temporarily allow pop-ups etc.???
This whole matter is baffling as I mentioned my CD and DVD's are fine...is that b/c of # 3 listed above and could the strange noises in # 1, 2 and 4 be part of what is causing the audio/video distortion? Especially the Realtek AC 97 Audio?
Just wondering?
Thank you for your continued interest. I have been googling and talked to my hi speed internet guys and was on with them with both IE 7 and Mozilla and they could see the 'slo mo and sound scratchy and sounds like a Monster voice in all audio.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Did you try system restore to some day from before the problem started?

newbie geek

newbie geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Thx for all of the support and suggestions. I continued to Google and found a thread back in July 2009 by a Toshiba user who had the same problem.
It was in the Tech Guy forum and the suggestion was:

Start>Run>msconfig to Startup tab and 'Disable All' > OK and "Reboot" and try videos and I did this and it worked !!!!
I went back and clicked "Enable All" and 'Reboot' and tried the videos again and they work !!!

I have rebooted again and tried and all of the different video sites are working.
What would cause this to occur?
As I don't want this headache again and I will keep these instructions and have posted them here in the event that some other member has this horrid experience.

I really would like to know what your opinion of what could have caused this?????
I indeed thank you for your time, interest and support during the most horrible day of my life trying to insure that I would not have to take my notebook into a '$$$$$$$' tech shop.
I look forward to your comments. thx again.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I have no idea what happened. Something did reset itself by turning on/off all startups.
Nice find and I'm glad, it worked for you :)

newbie geek

newbie geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
I have to say thank you so much for your interest shown in my dilemma as it is so frustrating when one feels like they are out in the middle of the ocean treading water by themselves !!!!
Cheers !!!

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
:)