Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Acessing external hard drive

• Please log in to reply

Janis

Janis

• PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
My laptop died but the hard drive was okay. I installed the dead laptop's drive into an external enclosure. I can see all the programs and folders on the external drive but are unable to use some of them. For example I had Quicken installed on the dead laptop (C drive) I can see that program on the external drive but get the following messages when I try to access it.

This is the error I get when trying to open an Office program - "The operating system is not presently configured to run this application"

This is the Quicken message - "IPROF32.dll was not found"

Do I need to install Office on the current laptop drive in order to access programs on the external drive? Do I also need to reinstall Quicken on the laptop drive?

Thanks for any clues as to how to handle this.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes on both programs. When you install a program it writes to the registry. Since these programs are on the old HD the information was not written to the current registry. If you install the programs on the new drive you can then access the files on the old drive as well as copy them over to the new drive to make them easier to get to.