Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reinstalled XP Home and still slow

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Rhineus

Rhineus

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hello,

It's taking forever for my computer to boot and to start up windows... I just re-installed (again 'SIGH') last night and did a complete format and I've been busy downloading and installing the stuff like firewall, anti-virus, anti-spyware, updated IE, downloading windows updates ect. I'm on dial-up so I have to have a download manager.

When I start up windows and it finally gets to the desktop it's using about 100% of the CPU, and it's like 15 or 20 min I have to wait... I tried running malwarebytes' anti-malware and it can't find no malware. I've got avira and ran it, still nothing.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Make and model of system?
Total memory installed on the system?
Total capacity of the hard drive?

Rhineus

Rhineus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Sorry about that...

XP Home
Service Pack 2
AMD Athlon XP 3200+
2.20 GHz, 448 MB of Ram
80 GB HD

Anything else?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I see art of the issue now
448 mb ram
This means you have 512 megs of total ram and the system is using 64 megs for shared memory with the video card.
You should seriously consider increasing this to 1 gig to make things run better.
Go to HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system. You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

Now that you are on dialup is going to make the test downloading slow but it is needed to check some things. Before we get tot hat let's try using the XP test that are built into the system.

Go to
Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem

Rhineus

Rhineus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Still the same... I had a virus called "virut" I got help at whatthetech.com, that took me and the helper some time to figure out what happened so when I formatted and re-installed it seemed like everything was ok but I guess not.

I already had to format and install 2 other times in about 2 days because of the (Explorer.exe) CPU got up so high, like 100%... The second time wasn't no different and the 3rd time no different. I got a little further downloading and installing programs the 2nd time. I ran MBAM and avira but they both said that I was clean

When I finally got to the desktop (after waiting about 5 min) I again had to wait like 10 or 15 min for the computer to even let me do anything... I like formatting and installing windows but 2 times in like 2 or 3 days.

I can't even get IE to open up, as a matter of fact, it takes about 5 or so min for anything to open except firefox although when ever you do anything like downloading at takes awhile but surfing hasn't changed. With up being at 100% CPU... I don't know, you think I should format it and start again? I mean in the beginning, after I formatted and installed windows it was doing ok but after awhile the computer was acting sluggish and slow.

The helper ask me to do an online scan with Kaspersky and I'm downloading java at the moment... I guess we'll have to see if I can run it or not.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You formatted both times?
You didn't blow the partitions away then reset them up, format and then reinstall?
I'm asking a malware tech to stop in because what you have is a very nasty virus and there is only one way to stop it. He will have the instructions as we are not allowed to advise on malware topics.

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
Please continue with your active malware topic at WTT, we can not help you until you are done there.

Thanks, and I will close this topic for now since your in good hands over at WTT.